第 七 章 形容词和副词
二、作用：形容词在句中可用作定语、表语、宾语补足语、状语（句首或句末），“the + 形容词”还可作主语或宾语。副词主要用作状语、表语、定语、补足语或介词宾语。
She is wearing a new red silk dress. 她穿着一条红丝绸裙子。（前置定语）
I have something important to tell you. 我有些重要的事情要告诉你。（后置定语）
The film was very interesting. 那部影片非常有趣。（表语）
Who left the door open?谁没关门?（宾语补足语）
I laid him down dead. 我把他放在地上，他死了。（宾补）
At last he got home，tired and hungry. 最后他终于到家了，又累又饿。（状语）
We should respect the old and take care of the young. 我们应该尊老爱幼。（主语、宾语）
四、下列以-ly结尾的词是形容词，不是副词：lively活泼的；lonely荒凉的；lovely可爱的；deadly致命的；friendly友好的；ugly丑的；silly傻的；motherly 慈爱的；brotherly兄弟般的；sickly多病的、病态的；likely很可能的；kindly热情的；comradely同志式的。如：a sickly child多病的孩子；a sick child（一个生病的孩子）；be likely of success (to succeed)有可能成功；an ugly wound吓人的伤口；a friendly match友谊赛
He lived on a lonely island. 他住在一个荒凉的岛上。
He felt lonely. 他感到孤独。
The talks proceeded in a friendly atmosphere. 会议在友好的气氛中进行。
He is alone. 他很孤独。
No two persons are exactly alike. 没有两个人是完全相象的。
I'm afraid that I am late. 我恐怕迟到了吧。
Is he awake or asleep? 他醒着还是睡着?
He has been aware of his mistake. 他已意识到他的错误。
The lake is alive with fish. 湖里的鱼多得很。
I feel ashamed that I have done so little for the people. 我为人民做的工作太少，感到惭愧。
He is unable to tell the difference. 他不能说出其差异。
〖注〗有一些形容词只能作定语：main主要的；elder年长的；former前（面）任的；outer外部的。如：the main idea主要观点；the elder man那老年人；the former leader前任领导；outer space外层空间
六、下列形容词前义作定语，后义作表语：certain某一/无疑的；present现在的/出席的；late已故的/迟到的；ill坏的/有病的；sure可靠的/确信的；sorry糟糕的/难过的、对不起的。如：her late husband她已故的丈夫；in late summer在夏末；a sorry state 处于可怜的状态；a sorry excuse 理由不充分的借口
A certain Smith will come here. 一个姓史密斯的人将来这儿。
I'm certain that he saw me. 我确信他看见了我。
The present government is getting stronger and stronger. 现在的政府变得越来越强大了。
How many of you were present at the meeting?你们有多少人参加了会议?
Don't be late for class. 上课别迟到。
He had ill luck last year. 去年他遭厄运。
He has been ill for two days. 他已病了两天了。
He sent the letter by a sure hand. 他是经由可靠的人送那封信的。
I'm not sure why he wants it. 我不太知道他为何需要它。
We're sorry to hear of your father's death. 听到你父亲逝世，我们甚为难过。
I feel sorry for you. 我替你难过。
a tall，good-looking man一个高个英俊的男人；
a black and white TV set一部黑白电视机；
a beautiful green Chinese woolen carpet一床漂亮的中国产的绿毛毯；
some fresh big red apples一些又大又红的鲜苹果；
her round pink face她那粉红的圆脸
I have found something strange today. 今天我发现了一些奇异的东西。
What else did she tell? 她还说了些什么？
He has enough time (time enough) to do the work. 他有足够的时间做这事。
1、形容词+名词+ed：a kind-hearted lady一位好心的老大娘
2、形容词+形容词：his dark-blue eyes他那深蓝的眼睛
3、形容词+现在分词：a good-looking woman一位漂亮的妇女
4、副词+现在分词：the hard-working people勤劳的民族
5、副词+过去分词：a newly-built museum一座新建的博物馆
6、名词+形容词：a world-famous politician世界闻名的政治家
7、名词+现在分词：the peace-loving nation爱好和平的国家
8、名词+过去分词：the man-made satellites人造地球卫星
9、数词+名词+ed：a three-legged table一张三条腿的桌子
10、数词+名词：a ten-speed bicycle一辆十速自行车；a five-storey building一幢五层楼的建筑
He wrote a two-thousand-word report. 他写了一份两千字的报告。
11、数词+名词+形容词：a forty-foot-wide road=a road forty feet wide一条四十英尺宽的路
12、临时用词组组成：a tower about 180 feet high=an about-180-foot-high tower一座约180英尺高的塔
十、名词化的形容词：the+adj. 或分词往往名词化，用来表示一类人或事物，如果作主语，谓语要用复数。如：the young年青人；the good优点；the dying快死的人；the following下面的人或物；the wounded伤员；the exploited被剥削的人；the British英国人；the Dutch荷兰人
The aged are easy to catch cold. 上年纪的人容易患感冒。
The good is not always beautiful. 好的东西并不总是好看。
1、now，then，yesterday，last night，today，tomorrow，ago，tonight，before，just now，later (on)，lately，recently，so far
3、already，yet，late，early，soon，long，since，at once，at first，at last，finally，presently，shortly，immediately，right away
十四、程度副词有：much，(a) little，a bit，very，so，too，enough，quite，rather，pretty，fairly，extremely，considerably，entirely，completely，terribly，perfectly，deeply，nearly，almost，hardly，scarcely，partly，half，slightly，not at all等。程度副词用来修饰形容词或副词，还可以用来修饰动词或介词短语。如：
You are partly (almost，half，not at all) right. 你部分正确（几乎对了、一半对了、一点儿也不对）。
She sings quite (pretty，extremely，not at all) well. 她唱得很好（非常好、极好、一点儿也不好）。
Thank you very much. 非常感谢。
I can hardly agree with you. 我不同意你的观点。
How are you getting along with your studies?你们学习情况怎样?（疑问副词）
This is where you are wrong. 这就是你不对的地方。（连接副词）
Do you remember the day when Beijing was liberated?你还记得北京得到解放的日子吗?（关系副词）
Why did he tell you the bad news?他为什么告诉你这个坏消息?（疑问副词）
I didn't know how he went there. 我不知道他是如何到那儿去的。（连接副词）
The factory where the students worked last month is a pen factory. 上个月学生工作过的那个工厂是个钢笔制造厂。（关系副词）
We should often go over our lessons. 我们应该经常复习功课。
The visitors were warmly received by the hosts. 客人受到主人的热情接待。
We are quite sure that we'll be able to finish it in a short time. 我们非常有把握能在短期内把它做完。
How beautifully they are dancing!他们舞跳得多美!
I can't jump so high as she does. 我跳高不及她跳得高。
Obviously there is much room for improvement in our work. 很明显我们的工作还很有改进的余地。
I must be off now. 我得走了。
When will you be back? 你什么时候回来?
How long will she be away?她要离开多久?
Is your mother in?你妈妈在家吗?
The workers here are all very kind to me. 这儿的工人待我都很好。（定语）
I met an old friend of mine on my way home. 我在回家的路上碰到了一个老朋友。（定语）
Is there anything on tonight?今晚有什么活动吗?（定语）
I saw you out with my sister last Saturday. 上星期六我看见你和我姐姐一道上街了。（宾语补足语）
Show him up. 带他上楼去。（宾语补足语）
You shouldn't stay up too late. 你不应当睡得太晚。
I remember having seen him somewhere. 我记得在哪儿见过他。
Turn on the light，please. /Turn it on. 请把灯打开。
Put away those chairs. /Put them away. 把那些椅子收好。
Put down you name here. /Put it down here. 请在这儿写好名字。
I hardly ever heard him singing. 我几乎从未听他唱过歌。
We occasionally saw him walking along the riverbank. 偶尔我们看见他在河边散步。
Do you often have such parties?这种晚会你们常开吗?
She is seldom ill. 她很少生病。
He has never been late. 他从不迟到。
I almost forgot about the whole thing. 我差点把这事整个忘掉了。
We still need a few comrades to help us in the work. 我们还需要几个同志帮忙。
We've just sent up a new man-made satellite. 我们刚刚发射了一颗新的人造地球卫星。
Such things do happen sometimes. 这种事情的确有时会发生的。
She'll be back soon. 她一会儿就回来。
He hasn't come back yet. 他还没有回来。
I remember having seen him once. 我记得见过他一次。
Never have I seen anything so wonderful as that. 我从来还没有看见过如此精美的东西。
He didn't get there in time. Neither did I. 他没有及时赶到那儿。我也没有。
Hardly had we gathered in the wheat when it began to rain. 我们刚把小麦收割完就开始下起雨来了。
No sooner had I reached home than it began to snow. 我们一到达家里，天就下起雪来了。
We meet fairly often. 我们见面的时候相当多。
I don't quite agree with you. 我不完全同意你的意见。
The room isn't large enough to seat all of us. 这房间不够大，容纳不下我们所有的人。
He didn't work hard enough. 他工作不够努力。
（1）一般情况直接在词尾加-er，-est 如： small，smaller，smallest。
（3）以“辅音 + y”结尾的词将 y 改为i，再加-er，-est，如：busy，busier，busiest；heavy，heavier，heaviest
2、多数双音节词和多音节词都在词前加more，most 构成：important，more important，most important；difficult，more difficult，most difficult
He is more fit for his office than anyone else. 他经别的任何人都更称职。
He jumps higher than I. 他跳得比我高。
This book is more interesting than that one. 这本书比那本书有趣。
He is more tired than any other student/anyone else/any of the other students. 他比其它的任何一个学生都累。
The older of the two noblemen took a light and led me into a back room. 两个贵族中年长的那个拿着灯到后屋去了。
He is the stronger of the two. 他是两人中身体强壮的那个。
二十、比较级前可以有一个表示程度的状语：much，(a) little/bit，far，a lot，still，a good deal，even，any，no及表示倍数概念的内容。如：
I like this story a good deal (a lot) better than the other one. 这个故事比那个故事我更喜欢得多。
You speak far (much) more fluently than I. 你比我讲得流利得多。
Now I read a little faster than before. 现在我阅读速度比过去稍快一点。
I hope you'll do it a bit more carefully next time. 我希望下次你做这工作稍稍再细心一点。
You must do far more than simply look. 你必须做得更多而不止是看。
二十一、固定搭配：more and more越来越…；the more. . . the more. . . 越…，越…；all the more因而更加；more or less大体上；more than不止/less than不到；no more than=only仅仅、不过、只有、跟……同样不…；not more than=at most至多、不超过、比不上、不及；no more不再；not any more不再；no longer不再；not any longer不再。如：
Tom is no more clever than Jack. 汤姆和杰克一样不聪明。
Tom is not more clever than Jack. 汤姆不如杰克聪明。
The deeper the well is，the sweeter the water is. 井越深，水越甜。
The weather is getting colder and colder. 天气越来越冷。
As a result，the poor became all the poorer. 结果是穷者更穷。
That'll make the work all the more difficult. 这将使工作更加难做。
The lightest weight less than 50 kilograms. 最轻的还不到五十公斤。
He's more than a friend to me. 他对我不止是一个朋友。
More than one man was killed. 不止一个人被杀害。
He is more than pleased. 他十二分高兴。
The beauty of the park is more than words can tell. 这个公园的美景是无法用语言来描述的。
That is more than I can tell. 那是我无法用语言来表达的。
He is more like a spear than anything else. 与其说他象别的什么东西，倒不如说象一支梭镖。
二十二、原级比较：as. . . as. . . （肯定：和……一样的/地…）；not so（as）. . . as…（否定：不及…），之间用形容词和副词的原级，而不用比较级。如：
He is as busy as before. 他还是象从前那样忙。
We'll give you as much help as we can. 我们将尽量帮助你。
Try to make few mistakes as possible. 尽量少犯错误。
My handwriting is not so (as) good as yours. 我的书法不及你好。
I haven't made as much progress as I should. 我没有取得应有的进步。
This coat costs me three times as much as the one I bought last year. 这件大衣是我去年买的那件衣服的三倍。
We've produced twice as much cotton this year as we did in 1970. 今年我们生产的棉花比1970年多了一倍。
My command of English is not half (as) good as yours. 我英文掌握得还不及你一半好。
He is the tallest man in our factory. 他是我们当中最高的男人。
Autumn is the best season in Beijing. 秋天是北京最好的季节。
I am the least experienced among the teachers here. 我是这里教员中最没有经验的。
Of all things in the world，people are the most precious. 世界万物中，人是最宝贵的。
I like to play basketball best. 我最喜欢打篮球。
〖注〗①形容词最高级前不用the或物主代词，等于 very 的意思，表示“非常”。如：
It is a most (=very) touching story. 这是一个极为动人的故事。
It was most stupid to act like that. 这样做是非常愚蠢的。
“Oh! It's most beautiful!” said the Prime Minister quickly. “噢，太漂亮了！”首相迅速地回答。
It is a most (very) interesting book. 这是一本极其有趣的书。
It was most wise of him to do so. 对他来说这样做是非常明智的。
Monday is our busiest day. 星期一是我们最忙的一天。
Collecting stamps is my latest hobby. 集邮是我最新的爱好。
二十四、形容词最高级还可用于at one’s. . . 这种短语中：
The rose was at its best. 玫瑰花开得正盛。
I knew her tone；I knew she was at her worst. 我听得出她的语气，我知道她这时候心情最不好。
The Pacific is by far the largest ocean. 太平洋是最大的海洋。（by far用于加强语气）
He is by far the tallest among us. 他在我们这些人中间个子比谁都高得多。
Hainan is China's second largest island. 海南岛是中国的第二大岛。
He is taller than any other student in his class.
=He is taller than any of the other students in his class.
=He is the tallest student in his class. 他比班里其他同学都高。
1、prefer A to B：
He preferred death to dishonour(耻辱、不光彩). 他宁死不屈。
I prefer doing to talking. 我喜欢多做少说。
2、prefer to do A rather than (to) do B：
I prefer to stay at home rather than go out. 我宁愿留在家里也不愿出去。
3、would rather do A than do B：
He would rather watch TV than go to bed. 他宁愿看电视也不想睡觉。
4、not more than/no more than：
There are not more than 15 persons in the room. 房间里最多有15个人。(=at most：最多；不超过)
There are no more than 15 persons in the room. 房间里只有15个人。（=only：仅仅）
as. . . as：
1. The horse is getting old and cannot run ____ it did. 【1988】
A. as faster as B. so fast than C. so faster as D. as fast as
2. John plays football ____ ，if not better than，David. 【1994】
A. as well B. as well as C. so well D. so well as
3. It is generally believed that teaching is _______it is a science. 【2001—28】
A. an art much as B. much an art as
C. as an art much as D. as much an art as
4. Our neighbor has ____ ours. 【京2003】
A. as a big house as B. as big a house as
C. the same big house as D. a house the same big as
1. Which do you think tastes ____ ，the chicken or the fish? 【1986】
A. well B. good C. betterD. best
2. He had never spent a ____ day. 【1989】
A. worry more B. most worrying C. more worrying D. most worried
3. This year they have produced ____ grain ____ they did last year. 【1989】
A. as less；as B. as few；as C. less；than D. fewer；than
4. If we had followed his plan，we could have done the job better with ____ money and ____ people. 【1990】
A. less；less B. fewer；fewer C. less；fewer D. fewer；less
5. The pianos in the other shop will be ____ ，but ____. 【1990】
A. cheaper；not as better B. more cheap；not as better
C. cheaper；not as good D. more cheap；not as good
6. —How did you find your visit to the museum?
—I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was ____ than I expected. 【1991】
A. far more interesting B. even much interesting
C. so more interesting D. a lot much interesting
7. Which is ____ country，Canada or Australia? 【1992】
A. a large B. the larger C. a larger D. larger
8. —If you don't like the red coat，take the blue one.
—OK，but do you have ____ size in blue? This one's a bit tight for me. 【1993】
A. a big B. a bigger C. the big D. the bigger
9. If there were no examinations，we should have ____ at school. 【1994】
A. the happiest time B. a more happier time
C. much happiest time D. a much happier time
10. How beautifully she sings! I have never heard ____. 【1996—11】
A. the better voice B. a good voice C. the best voice D. a better voice
11. Professor White has written some short stories，but he is ________ known for his plays. 【1998】
A. the best B. more C. better D. the most
12. Boris has brains. In fact，I doubt whether anyone in the class has ____ IQ. 【NMET2002】
A. a high B. a higherC. the higher D. the highest
1. He made the ____ mistakes in the dictation exercises. 【1985】
A. less B. least C. fewerD. fewest
2. John has three sisters；Mary is ____ of the three. 【1988】
A. more cleverest B. most clever C. the cleverest D. cleverer
3. Four of Robert’s children were at the party，including ____，Luke. 【NMET2003春】
A. the oldest B. an oldest one C. the old D. an old one
1. After the new technique was introduced，the factory produced ____ tractors in 1988 as the year before. 【1990】
A. as twice many B. as many twice C. twice as many D. twice many as
1. ____ ，I went to the railway station to see my friend off. 【1991】
A. After eating quickly my dinner B. After my quickly eating dinner
C. After eating my dinner quickly D. After eating my quickly dinner
2. —Will you give this message to Mr White，please?
—Sorry，I can't. He ____. 【1992】
A. doesn't any more work hereB. doesn't any longer here work
C. doesn't work any more hereD. doesn't work here any longer.
3. Tony is going camping with ____ boys. 【1993】
A. little two other B. two little other C. two other little D. little other two
4. “Can't you read?” Mary said ____ to the notice. 【1993】
A. angrily pointing B. and point angrily
C. angrily pointed D. and angrily pointing
5. —How was your recent visit to Qingdao?
—It was great. We visited some friends，and spent the ____ days at the seaside. 【1995】
A. few last sunny B. last few sunny C. last sunny few D. few sunny last
6. If I had ________，I’d visit Europe，stopping at all the small interesting places. 【1998】
A. a long enough holiday B. an enough long holiday
C. a holiday enough long D. a long holiday enough
7. ____ to take this adventure course will certainly learn a lot of useful skills. 【2000】
A. Brave enough students B. Enough brave students
C. Students brave enough D. Students enough brave
1. John was so sleepy that he could hardly keep his eyes ____. 【1992】
A. open B. to be opened C. to open D. opening
1. The story sounds ____. 【1989】
A. to be true B. are true C. being true D. true
2. These oranges taste ____. 【1991】
A. good B. well C. to be good D. to be well
1. —I haven't been to Guilin yet.
—I haven't been there，____. 【1983】
A. too B. also C. eitherD. neither
2. These plants are watered ____. 【1986】
A. each other day B. every other day
C. each of the days D. every of two days
3. As soon as he entered the room，he took ____ his cap and sat down. 【1986】
A. off B. out C. away D. down
4. The students are ____ young people between the ages of sixteen and twenty. 【1988】
A. most B. almost C. mostly D. at most
5. —Excuse me，is this Mr. Brown's office?
—I'm sorry，but Mr. Brown ____ works here. He left about three weeks ago. 【1990】
A. not nowB. no more C. not still D. no longer
6. —Can I help you?
—Well，I'm afraid the box is ____ heavy for you，but thank you all the same. 【1990】
A. so B. muchC. very D. too
7. We all write ____ ，even when there's not much to say. 【1994】
A. now and then B. by and by C. step by step D. more or less
8. —Have you finished your report yet?
—No，I'll finish in ____ ten minutes. 【1995】
A. another B. other C. more D. less
9. We decided not to climb the mountains because it was raining ____. 【1996】
A. badly B. hardlyC. strongly D. heavily
10. Wait till you are more ____. It’s better to be sure than sorry. 【1997】
A. inspired B. certain C. calm D. satisfied
11. It is impossible for so ____ workers to do so ____ work in a single day. 【1988】
A. few；much B. few；many C. little；much D. little；many
12. —Mum，I think I'm ____ to get back to school.
—Not really，my dear. You'd better stay at home for another day or two. 【1993】
A. so well B. so good C. well enough D. good enough
13. Can you believe that in ____ a rich country there should be ____ many poor people? 【1995】
A. such；such B. such；so C. so；so D. so；such
14. It’s always difficult being in a foreign country，____ if you don’t speak the language. 【2000】
A. extremely B. naturally C. basically D. especially
15. I am surprised that you should have been fooled by such a(an)____trick. 【2001春】
A. ordinaryB. easy C. smartD. simple
16. All the people____ at the party were his supporters. 【京2002】
A. present B. thankful C. interested D. important
17. It was raining heavily. Little Mary felt cold，so she stood____ to her mother. 【京2002】
A. close B. closely C. closed D. closing
18. —You don’t look very____. Are you ill?
—No，I’m just a bit tired. 【京2003春】
A. good B. well C. strong D. healthy
19. Mr. Smith，____ of the____ speech，started to read a novel. 【京2003春】
A. tired; boring B. tiring; bored C. tired; bored D. tiring; boring
20. —I was riding along the street and all of a sudden，a car cut in and knocked me down.
—You can never be____ careful in the street. 【京2003春】
A. much B. very C. so D. too
21. Allen had to call a taxi because the box was ____ to carry all the way home. 【NMET2003】
A. much too heavy B. too much heavy C. heavy too much D. too heavy much
22. —I hear they aren’t pleased with the house you’ve chosen for them.
—Well，____ could they live in such comfort? 【京2003】
A. where else B. what else C. how D. why
1. —How much is the T-shirt____？
A. worth B. cost C. worthy D. paid
2. The train was ____ to arrive at 11:30，but was an hour late.
A. about B. likely C. certain D. supposed
3. He was so tired that he soon fell ____ asleep.
A. deep B. completeC. soft D. sound
4. Oh，boy，why are you killing your time this way? Can’t you find something____ doing at all.
A. useful B. worth C. valuable D. good
5. Without the air to hold some of the sun’s heat，the earth at night ____，too cold for us to live.
A. will be freezingly cold B. would be freezing cold
C. will be frozenly cold D. would be frozen cold
6. The hot weather still kept him ____ the whole night，so he left the door and windows open.
A. widely awake B. wide awake C. wide awoken D. widely awoke
7. He was lying in the hospital ____，with his ribs broken.
A. half deadB. deadly C. dying D. died
8. These plastic flowers look so ____ that many people think they are real.
A. natural B. beautiful C. similar D. familiar
9. It was ____ of you to choose the smaller one，because it is ____ money to buy a bigger one.
A. important; a waste ofB. wise; a waste of
C. necessary; waste of D. right; waste of
10. Free medical treatment in this country covers sickness of mind as well as ____ sicknesses.
A. normal B. regular C. average D. ordinary
11. He is an honest person. He is ____ to do such a dishonest thing.
A. the least man B. the first man C. the suitable man D. the last man
12. —I’ll talk to my son Bill about it as soon as possible. He usually listens.
—We need ____listening. We need action.
A. more than B. less than C. not more than D. no more than
13. How disappointed! They have finished ____ 5% of the work.
A. no more than B. no less than C. more than D. not less than
14. Though he is ____ worker，he works very hard.
A. a common B. an ordinary C. a usual D. a general
15. They held the meeting for the ____ interests of the third world.
A. ordinary B. popular C. usual D. common
16. It’s surprising that you don’t know it. It’s nothing but____ sense.
A. commonB. usual C. normal D. proper
17. After the flood，the villagers are trying their best to get things back to____.
A. usual B. ordinary C. normal D. common
18. The ____ temperature of a person is about 37℃.
A. formal B. common C. normal D. usual
19. Whoever has____ sense knows that smoking is harmful to people’s health.
A. normal B. general C. ordinary D. common
20. I tried hard to get some information about the new technology out of his mouth，but he remained ____.
A. quiet B. secret C. silent D. calm
21. The industrial park is not a very ____ place to work in——few trees or grassy areas; no cafes for staff(员工) to visit during their breaks.
A. comfortable B. active C. attractiveD. beautiful
22. —What do you think of this matter?
—This is a matter of____ importance. I think.
A. especial B. fairly C. rather D. special
23. Believe it or not，many animals have ____ hearing than humans.
A. betterB. good C. worse D. poorer
24. Although only of ____ intelligence，he speaks four languages fluently.
A. average B. middle C. mean D. normal
25. After the Anti-terrorist War，the American soldiers returned home，____.
A. safe but tired B. safely but tired C. safe and tiring D. safely and tiring
26. If you are ____ about the Pyramids in Egypt，just read the book written by Dr. Brown.
A. anxious B. curious C. serious D. puzzled
27. It is said that the fishermen caught from the sea a kind of animal____ exactly a dragon and kept it in a big water bowl.
A. living B. alive C. lively D. live
28. —Could you mail these letters for me please?
—____ letters? Your friends are going to be very happy to hear from you again?
A. What B. Some C. More D. Different
29. The serial killings，which resulted in____ of ten deaths，terrified millions of people living
near the US capital.
A. a numberB. a lot C. a great deal D. a total
30. In the middle of the room stands a ____ table.
A. beautiful wooden round B. round wooden beautiful
C. wooden round beautiful D. beautiful round wooden
31. There was a____ carpet on the floor of his living room.
A. Chinese beautiful green B. green Chinese beautiful
C. Chinese green beautiful D. beautiful green Chinese
32. As is known to all，Taiwan is____ island.
A. China’s first largest B. the China’s first largest
C. the first China’s largest D. the Chinese first largest
33. The use of ____ computer makes it possible to keep modern airports running.
A. air-traffic control automatic B. automatic control air-traffic
C. air-traffic automatic control D. automatic air-traffic control
34. ____ lessons were not difficult.
A. Our few first short English B. Our first few short English
C. Our few first English short D. Few our first English short
35. Having no child of their own，the Smiths took in a ____ girl，Yuan Yuan by name.
A. lovely little Chinese B. Chinese lovely little
C. little Chinese lovely D. lovely Chinese little
36. Good manners depend____ on how we look at ourselves____ on how we look at other people.
A. not very much; and B. as much; but
C. not so much; as D. as much as; and
37. I have known Mary for years and I am very familiar with her，but I have never been to her home，____ to stay for dinner.
A. neither B. not even C. much less D. nor
38. We thought their house to be very big，but it’s ____.
A. just big as ours B. no bigger than ours
C. less bigger than ours D. much bigger than ours
39. —Is registering(登记) for a pet dog very expensive?
—Yes. In Tianjin，it can cost ____ 2,000 yuan.
A. as high as B. as much as C. so high as D. so much as
40. —It is 18 o’clock and your father is still at the office.
—I know. Who else would ____ he does?
A. work so hard as B. be working harder than
C. do harder work than D. work as hard as
41. —How about your test in chemistry?
—Oh，couldn’t feel ____. I didn’t make a single mistake.
A. better B. heavier C. worse D. sorrier
42. Compared with the nervousness of driving in the rain or snow，it is____ to sit in a train and look out of the windows without any worry of bad weather.
A. more tired B. less tiringC. less tiredD. even more tiring
43. —How do you like Mr Li’s painting?
—To tell you the truth，no one pains____.
A. terribly B. worse C. the worst D. badly
44. Look at the two boats in the sea! The race for the grand prize has never been so ____.
A. closerB. closely C. closest D. close
45. —Anne is quite unfriendly.
—I think she’s____ unfriendly.
A. more shy than B. shyer than C. more shyer than D. shy more than
46. —What do you think of the food?
—Wonderful. It couldn’t be____.
A. so good B. the best C. the better D. any better
47. It is generally considered that football is ____ than any other match.
A. a great deal exciting B. by far more exciting
C. a lot of more excitingD. far more exciting
48. —The cake is delicious.
—Well，at least it is____ the one I baked last week.
A. as bad asB. no worse than C. no better than D. not better than
49. The purpose of the research had a more important meaning for them than ____.
A. ours B. those of ours C. it had for ours D. it did for us
50. — Do you think the weather is good enough for a picnic?
— Yes. You couldn’t hope for ____ at this time of year.
A. a nice day B. the nicer day C. the nicest day D. a nicer day
51. How cold it is! We’ve never had ____ this winter.
A. the colder day B. a cold day C. the coldest day D. a colder day
52. —Goods imported from abroad are ____ those made in China.
—Yes. Some of the goods made in China are of high quality.
A. not always better than B. always as good as
C. on better than D. no longer better than
53. ____ shall we have to go to get to the hot spring? Another five miles.
A. How farther B. How much farther C. How far D. How long
54. I doubt if I will come to listen to his speech next time. It couldn’t have been____ in fact.
A. any worse B. so bad C. any better D. the best
55. —Of all the novels here I like this one ____.
—So do I. It’s not interesting at all.
A. best B. least C. most D. worst
56. —How did you sleep last night?
—Like a log. Never slept ____.
A. well B. better C. best D. much better
57. Some of the paintings on show are well worth seeing，but others could be ____.
A. good B. worse C. better D. bad
58. That’s my idea. Can you think of a ____ one?
A. good B. best C. better D. bit
59. As a matter of fact，this is just as____.
A. an example as the other example is good B. a good example as the other
C. good example as the other D. good an example as the other
60. The area of Beijing city is about____ that of New York.
A. four times as much as B. as four times large as
C. as four times greater than D. four times as big as
61. We have a big library in our school. There are more than twice ____ five years ago.
A. books than B. as many books as C. many more books than D. many books as
62. According to a new survey，females who have attended ____ high schools have higher test scores than those in co-ed schools.
A. all-girl B. all-girls’ C. all-girl’s D. all-girls
63. We have little ____ information about the development in this field.
A. present-day B. up-to-date C. modern D. late
64. —Is Mr Smith in?
—No，he’s asked for ____ leave.
A. a two week’s B. a two-week C. a two-week’s D. a two weeks
1. Our teacher is strict with us. He never allows us to write____ carelessly.
A. that B. such so C. such D. so
2. —I was riding along the street and all of a sudden，a car cut in and knocked me down.
—You can never be ____ careful in the street.
A. much B. very C. so D. too
3. I’m hunting for a house，bright，comfortable and ____ with a big garden.
A. after all B. all over C. above allD. in all
4. It isn’t so much whether he works hard; the question is whether he works____.
A. above allB. in all C. at all D. after all
5. After a year’s training，Zhang Jian succeeded in swimming across the English Channel___.
A. at last B. in case C. once again D. in the end
6. I advise you to take school more seriously，otherwise you’ll have to go out and work____.
A. as a result B. now and then C. in a word D. at that moment
7. —George is organized，easy-going，hard-working and intelligent.
—____，I can’t speak too highly of him.
A. In other words B. In a word C. On the other hand D. As a result
8. With summer coming on，the weather gets hot ____.
A. day after day B. day and night C. day in and day out D. day by day
9. We must keep our room clean. Dirt and disease go ____，you know.
A. from time to time B. hand in hand C. step by step D. one after another
10. “He gave me ____ $100!” he said with satisfaction.
A. no more than B. something like C. only D. no less than
11. This is the story I have ____ heard. It’s very interesting，isn’t it?
A. ever B. never C. hardly D. often
12. I can’t tell you the exact time when I’ll get there，maybe at eight or at nine or still later. ____ I’ll be there as early as I can.
A. Anyhow B. Thus C. Therefore D. However
13. It’s too late to set out for watching the sunrise now; ____，it’s starting to rain.
A. besides B. meanwhile C. however D. anyhow
14. The doctor was ____ aware of all the possible problems involved in that kind of operation.
A. wholly B. completely C. fully D. entirely
15. —Four? A bit ____. Say，a quarter to，OK?
—All right. I will pick you up then.
A. less B. more C. later D. earlier
16. —Do you think Tom will succeed?
—Well，he’s helped by a number of people and，what is more，he works extremely hard，so he will ____ succeed.
A. probably B. possibly C. perhaps D. maybe
17. — Did all of them go to the movie?
— No. They ____ went to the Internet bar instead
A. almost B. mostly C. most D. nearly
18. —He isn’t particular about his food.
—Yes，he eats ____ anything.
A. nearly B. mostly C. almost D. possibly
19. This is the place I ____ want to go to.
A. mostly B. the mostly C. most D. much
20. —In what way do you think Sue will use her new Ford?
—She’ll use it____ for going to work.
A. mostly B. nearly C. most D. almost
21. — What do you think of the work Tom has done recently?
—I feel____ that the work shouldn’t have been done so carelessly.
A. badly B. directly C. strongly D. hardly
22. —Could you____ take care of my dog while I’m away?
—Sure. Leave it to me，please.
A. perhaps B. possibly C. maybe D. probably
23. —You don’t seem to be quite yourself today. What’s wrong?
—Oh，I’m suffering from a cold，nothing serious，____.
A. yet B. indeed C. though D. anyway
24. This kind of car is very expensive. I’ll buy one，____.
A. as well B. so C. instead D. though
25. Our bodies are strengthened by taking exercise. ____，our minds are developed by learning.
A. ProbablyB. Likely C. Similarly D. Generally
26. Terrorism(恐怖主义) in the world means more deaths and heavier losses and ____，it is our duty to fight against it.
A. altogether B. thereforeC. otherwise D. moreover
27. The new manager is intelligent and hard-working，and____，he is very charming.
A. moreover B. thereforeC. howeverD. instead
28. —Would you like to go to the concert with me，Mary?
—I have got no interest in it; ____，I have lots of work to do.
A. otherwise B. besides C. howeverD. therefore
29. They sat ____ so they could share the newspaper.
A. closely B. close C. nearlyD. almost
30. —Do you get together with your old friends?
—Yes，from time to time，but not ____.
A. normally B. certainly C. regularly D. necessarily
31. —Did you have any trouble in getting there?
—No. ____ I would have telephoned you.
A. However B. Otherwise C. Therefore D. Anyway
32. Since the death of her mother，she has been all day crying at home ____.
A. strongly B. deeply C. heavily D. bitterly
33. The man who had been shot was ____.
A. as well as dying B. dying as well C. as ill as possible D. as good as dead
34. They have ____ promised to help us.
A. as far as B. as long as C. as well as D. as good as
比较级：CCCCC ABBDD CB
词义辨析：CBACD DAADB ACBDD AABAD AA
形容词：ADDBB BAABD DAABD ACCDC CAAAA BBCDD
DADBA CCBBD ABBAA DDBDD DABAB BCCDD
副词： ADCCA ABDBD AAACD ABCCA CBCDC BABBC