第 八 章 谓语动词
二、及物动词（vt. ）与不及物动词（vi. ）：及物动词带宾语，不及物动词不带宾语。如：
Can you hear me? 你能听见我讲话吗？(vt. )
Listen，someone is coming. 听，有人来了。(vi. )
I have something to do. 我有事要做。(vt. )
I've got no pen to write with. 我没有写字的笔了。(vi. )
I've had the pen for three years. 这钢笔我已买了三年了。
I bought the pen three years ago. 我三年前买的这支钢笔。
He didn't arrive until the game had begun. 直到比赛开始他才到达。
He waited till (until) late in the evening. 他一直等到很晚。
He married Jenny 3 years ago. 他三年前与珍妮结了婚。
He has been married to Jenny for 3 years. 他与珍妮结婚三年了。
He tore at the wrapping of the parcel and tore it into small pieces. 他用力撕包裹的包装纸，将其撕成碎片。
The captain ran to him and tore open the boy’s shirt. 上尉跑到男孩跟前将他的衬衫撕开。
I shot at the aim for 3 times，only shot it at the 3rd time. 我瞄准目标射击三次，只有第三次射中了。
五、表示主观性的动词和表示客观性的动词：accept接受/receive收到；listen to听/hear听见；look at看/see看见。如：
He received an invitation，but he didn't accept it. 他收到一份请帖，但并未接受邀请。
He listened，but heard nothing. 他听了听，但什么也没听到。
六、表示直接性的动词和间接性的动词：know认识/know of听说；read读/read of读及；hear听见/hear of听说；speak说、讲/speak of说到、讲到；search sb. 搜身/search for sb. 搜查某人
七、表示动作与状态的动词：begin开始/be on在进行中；go on strike举行罢工/be on strike在罢工；put on穿上/wear/have on穿着；die死/be dead死的；borrow借/keep保存；buy买/have拥有；catch a cold得感冒/have a cold患感冒。如：
The dustmen have been on strike for 3 weeks since they went on strike. 环卫工人们已罢工三周了。
—May I borrow your book? ——我可以借你的书吗？
—Yes，you may. You can keep it for 2 weeks. ——可以，你可以借两个星期。
His mother is a teacher. 他妈妈是一位教师。
She appears younger. 她显得年轻些。
His words proved right. 他的话证明是正确的。
What seems easy to some people seems difficult to others. 对有些人简单的事似乎对其他人难。
Her face remained expressionless. 她的脸上仍然没有表情。
These flowers smell very sweet. 这些花很香。
He looks like a doctor. 他看上去像位医生。
Your plan sounds very good. 你的计划听起来非常好。
Your idea sounds excellent. 你的主意听起来不错。
What he had hoped at last came true. 他所希望的终于实现了。
The king got angry. 国王生气了。
The heat has caused milk to go sour. 高温使牛奶变质了。
His face went/turned red. 他脸红了。
The child fell asleep. 小孩睡着了。
The weather is growing warm. 天气正在变暖。
As the fuel ran short，the plane was forced to land. 由于燃料快要用完，飞机被迫降落。
Both sisters turned singers. 姐妹俩都成了歌唱家。
I think she will make a good president，so I am going to vote for her. 我认为她会成为一个好总统，因此我打算投她的票。
We always care for each other and help each other. 我们总是互相关心互相帮助。
She is always ready to help others. 她总是乐于助人。
The moon moves round the earth. 月亮围着地球转。
Have you a pen? 你有钢笔吗?
Is there a film tonight? 今晚有电影吗?
She used to come to help us. 她常常来帮我们的忙。
I wasn't in last night. 昨天晚上我不在家。
Liu Hulan was a fine daughter of the Party. 刘胡兰是党的好女儿。
I didn't know you were so busy. 我没想到你这么忙。
I didn't expect to meet you here. 我没想到在这里碰到你。
We won't (shan't) be free tomorrow. 我们明天没空。
When will you be able to give us an answer?你什么时候能给我们一个答复?
The meeting won't last long. 会议开不了多久。
Who is going to speak first at the meeting?谁首先在会上发言?
There is going to be a lot of trouble about this. 这事肯定会有很多麻烦。
When are they to hand in their plan?他们的计划什么时候交上来?
He is about to go on with the work. 他准备接着把事干下去。
We are leaving on Friday. 我们星期五动身。
How many of you are coming to the party?你们有多少人要来参加晚会?
The old man is dying. 那位老人就要死了。
Are you going anywhere tomorrow?明天你到哪里去吗?
Shall I close the door?要不要我把门关上?
Where shall we meet?我们在哪儿碰头?
Shall he clean the classroom?是不是要他打扫清洁?
4、过去将来时表示从过去某个时间看来将要发生的事情。由“should (would) + v. /was (were) going to + v. ”构成。如：
He didn't expect that we should (would) all be there. 他没想到我们都在那里。
I said I would raise the question at the meeting. 我说我要在会上提出这个问题。
They were sure that they would win the game. 他们坚信他们会赢得这场比赛。
He said he was going to try. 他说他准备试试。
Where are they having the basket-ball match?他们在哪里赛篮球?
Someone is asking for you on the phone. 有人找你接电话。
We are going over the English lessons these days. 这些天我们正在复习英语。
What were you doing at nine last night?你昨天晚上九点钟在干什么?
I was reading a novel last night when I heard knocks at the door. 昨天晚上我正在看小说这时我突然听到一阵敲门声。
We were having a meeting when they arrived. 他们到时我们正在开会。
The old Great Wall has taken on a new look. 古老的长城已呈现出新面貌。
The train has just left. 火车刚刚开走。
I have seen the film many times. 这电影我看过好几次了。
The guests have already left. 客人们已经走了。
I haven't seen him for many days. 我好些天没看见他了。
She has been ill for three days. 她生病三天了。
Have you ever been to America? 你到美国去过吗?
—Have you got the plan ready yet? ——计划做好了吗?
—No，not yet. ——还没做好。
It has rained a great deal since you left. 你走之后下了好些雨。
She has come back. 她已经回来了。
She has been back for three days. 她回来三天了。
She came back three days ago. 她是三天前回来的。
He has joined the army. 他参军了。
He has been in the army for a year. 他参军一年了。
He joined the army last year. 他是去年参军的。
②have (has) gone to去了某地/have (has) been to到某地去过：
—Where have you been? ——你去哪儿了?
—I have been to the hospital. ——我去了医院。
Li Ming has gone to Wuhan. 李明到武汉去了。
The play had already started when we got to the theatre. 我们到剧场时戏已经开演了。
By the time he was ten，Edison had already built a chemistry lab for himself. 爱迪生到十岁时，就已经给自己建了一间化学实验室。
He suddenly remembered that he hadn't locked the door. 他突然想起来他没锁门。
My brother had learned three years of English before he went to college. 我哥哥上大学以前学了三年英语。
She didn't go to bed until she had finished her work. 她直到把工作做完才睡觉。
He had pressed the button before we could stop him. 我们还没来得及阻止他，他已经按了按钮。
I thought you were having a break now. 我以为你们在休息呢。
She asked me whether I had caught up with the others. 他问我是否已经赶上别人了。
We were afraid you wouldn't be able to join us. 我们还担心你们不能参加我们一道干呢。
It hadn't been decided who was to head the group. 谁领导这个小组还没有决定。
He expressed the hope that we should go and visit his country some day. 他表示希望我们什么时候能去访问他的国家。
The teacher said that the Changjiang River is the longest river in our country. 老师说长江是我国最长的河流。
Did he say that the train leaves at 5:30? 他是不是说过火车五点半开?
As soon as he gets there，he will write me a letter. 他一到达那儿，就会给我写信的。
I’ll only stay if you offer me more money. 假若你肯多给钱，我就留下。
These heroes are respected by everybody in the country. 这些英雄人物受到全国人民的尊敬。（一般现在时）
You are wanted on the phone. 有人给你打电话。（一般现在时）
The Chinese Communist Party was founded in Shanghai in 1921. 中国共产党是一九二一年在上海成立的。（一般过去时）
Shall we be allowed to attend the opening ceremony?要邀请我们参加开幕式吗?（一般将来时）
A new teaching building is being built in our school. 我们学校正在修一幢新教学大楼。（现在进行时）
The problem has been discussed for two days. 这个问题已讨论两天了。（现在完成时）
The song was composed by a PLA man. 这首歌是一位解放军战士写的。（一般过去时）
Soon steam can be seen rising from the wet clothes. 很快就可以看见蒸气从湿衣服上冒出来。（情态动词+被动语态）
All these things are to be answered for. 所有这一切是都要得到偿还的。（be+不定式的被动式）
The glass is broken. 玻璃杯破了。（系表结构）
The glass was broken by my sister. 玻璃杯是我妹妹打破的。（被动语态）
The bridge is completed. 桥已修好。（系表结构）
The bridge was completed in 1990. 桥是一九九○年建成的。（被动语态）
The ground is covered with snow. 地下尽是雪。（系表结构）
This point has not been covered yet. 这一点还没有谈到。（被动语态）
②happen、take place、belong to、last、break out、consist of、cost等不及物动词没有被动语态。
③hear、see、watch、listen to、look at、have、let、make、notice、observe等动词带省略to的不定式作宾语补足语，变为被动语态时，to不能省略。
④be to do、be about to do、be going to do、had better do、used to do、ought to do、have to do、be sure to do等词组只须将其后的动词原形变为被动形式。
Mary gave him a pen. →He was given a pen by Mary. →A pen was given to him by Mary. 玛丽给了他一支笔。
People say Mary is a nice girl. →Mary is said to be a nice girl. →It is said that Mary is a nice girl. 人们说玛丽是个好女孩。
They hadn't done anything to end the strike. →Nothing had been done to end the strike. 他们没有为停止罢工作任何事情。
He told me that he had visited the factory. →I was told that the factory had been visited. 他告诉我他已经参观过工厂了。
The house needs repairing. →The house needs to be repaired. 这房子需要整修。
1. These boys ____ our football team. 【1983】
A. are belong to B. are belonged to C. belong to D. belong of
2. Don't get off the bus until it ____. 【1984】
A. has stopped B. stopped C. will stopD. shall stop
3. I'll begin the dictation when you ____ ready. 【1984】
A. shall be B. will be C. are D. have been
4. This is a photo of the power station that ____ in my home town. 【1986】
A. has set up B. has been set up C. was set up D. is set up
5. I'll go with you as soon as I ____ my work. 【1986】
A. will finish B. shall finish C. finishD. finished
6. Great changes ____ in the city，and a lot of factories ____. 【1987】
A. have been taken place; have been set up
B. have taken place; have been set up
C. have taken place; have set up
D. were taken place; were set up
7. Do you think Sam’ll call his old teacher as soon as he ____ in town? 【1987】
A. will be arrived B. is arrived C. arrives D. will arrive
8. I promise that the matter will ____. 【1987】
A. be taken care B. be taken care of C. take care D. take care of
9. That dinner was the most expensive meal we ____. 【1987】
A. would have B. have hadC. had never had D. had ever had
10. He ____ his leg when he ____ in a football match against another school. 【1987】
A. broke; played B. was breaking; was playing
C. broke; was playing D. was breaking; played
11. —Where ____ the recorder? I can’t see it anywhere.
—I ____ it right here. But now it’s gone. 【1988】
A. did you put; have putB. have you put; put
C. had you put; was putting D. were you putting; have put
12. Hello! I ____ you ____ in London. How long have you been here? 【1988】
A. don't know; were B. hadn't known; are
C. haven't known; are D. didn't know; were
13. —When ____ again?
—When he ____ ，I'll let you know. 【1988】
A. he comes; comes B. will he come; will come
C. he comes; will come D. will he come; comes
14. No permission has ____ for anybody to enter the building. 【1988】
A. been given B. given C. to give D. be giving
15. They asked me to have a drink with them. I said that it was at least ten years since I ____ a good drink. 【1988】
A. had enjoyed B. was enjoying C. enjoyed D. had been enjoying
16. I ____ ten minutes to decide whether I should reject the offer. 【1989】
A. gave B. was given C. was giving D. had given
17. My brother ____ while he ____ his bicycle and hurt himself. 【1989】
A. fell; was riding B. fell; were riding
C. had fallen; rode D. had fallen; was riding
18. Tom was disappointed that most of the guests ____ when he ____ at the party. 【1989】
A. left; had arrived B. left; arrived
C. had left; had arrived D. had left; arrived
19. The police found that the house ____ and a lot of things ____. 【1990】
A. has broken into; has been stolen B. had broken into; had been stolen
C. has been broken into; stolen D. had been broken into; stolen
20. The new secretary is supposed to report to the manager as soon as she ____. 【1990】
A. will arrive B. arrives C. is going to arrive D. is arriving
21. When I was at college I ____ three foreign languages，but I ____ all except a few words of each. 【1990】
A. spoke; had forgotten B. spoke; have forgotten
C. had spoken; had forgotten D. had spoken; have forgotten
22. —Come on in，Peter. I want to show you something.
—Oh，how nice of you! I ____ you ____ to bring me a gift. 【1990】
A. never think; are going B. never thought; were going
C. didn't think; were going D. hadn't thought; were going
23. —Have you moved into the new house?
—Not yet. The rooms ____. 【1991】
A. are being painted B. are painting C. are painted D. are being painting
24. —We haven't heard from Jane for a long time.
—What do you suppose ____ to her? 【1991】
A. was happening B. to happen C. has happened D. having happened
25. On Saturday afternoon，Mrs Green went to the market，____ some bananas and visited her cousin. 【1991】
A. bought B. buying C. to buy D. buy
26. The students ____ busily when Miss Brown went to get a book she ____ in the office. 【1991】
A. had written; left B. were writing; has left
C. had written; had left D. were writing; had left
27. Tom ____ into the house when no one ____. 【1992】
A. slipped; was looking B. had slipped; looked
C. slipped; had looked D. was slipping; looked
28. If city noises ____ from increasing，people ____ shout to be heard even at the dinner table 20 years from now. 【1992】
A. are not kept; will have to B. are not kept; have to
C. do not keep; will have to D. do not keep; have to
29. —We could have walked to the station; it was so near.
—Yes. A taxi ____ at all necessary. 【1992】
A. wasn't B. hadn't been C. wouldn'tD. won't be
30. —Do you know our town at all?
—No，this is the first time I ____ here. 【1992】
A. was B. am going C. came D. have been
31. In some parts of the world，tea ____ with milk and sugar. 【1993】
A. is serving B. is servedC. serves D. served
32. —How long ____ each other before they ____ married?
—For about a year. 【1993】
A. have they known; get B. did they know; were going to get
C. do they know; are going to get D. had they known; got
33. My dictionary ____. I have looked for it everywhere but still ____ it. 【1993】
A. has lost; don't find B. is missing; don't find
C. has lost; have found D. is missing; haven't found
34. We were all surprised when he made it clear that he ____ office soon. 【1993】
A. leaves B. would leave C. left D. had left
35. —Can I join your club，Dad?
—You can when you ____ a bit older. 【1994】
A. get B. will get C. are getting D. will have got
36. She set out soon after dark ____ home an hour later. 【1994】
A. arriving B. to arrive C. having arrived D. and arrived
37. —I'm sorry to keep you waiting.
—Oh，not at all. I ____ here only a few minutes. 【1994】
A. have been B. had beenC. was D. will be
38. —Do you like the material?
—Yes，it ____ very soft. 【1994】
A. is feelingB. felt C. feels D. is felt
39. I don't really work here; I ____ until the new secretary arrives. 【1994】
A. just help out B. have just helped out
C. am just helping out D. will just help out
40. I need one more stamp before my collection ____. 【1994】
A. has completed B. completes
C. has been completed D. is completed
41. —Your phone number again? I ____ quite catch it.
—It's 9568442. 【1995】
A. didn'tB. couldn't C. don't D. can't
42. — ____the sports meet might be put off.
—Yes，it all depends on the weather. 【1995】
A. I've been told B. I've told C. I'm told D. I told
43. As she ____ the newspaper，Granny ____ asleep. 【1995】
A. read; was falling B. was reading; fell
C. was reading; was falling D. read; fell
44. You don't need to describe her. I ____ her several times. 【1995】
A. had met B. have metC. met D. meet
45. I don't think Jim saw me; he ____ into space. 【1995】
A. just stared B. was just staring C. has just stared D. had just stared
46. — ____my glasses?
—Yes，I saw them on your bed a minute ago. 【1996】
A. Do you see B. Had you seen C. Would you see D. Have you seen
47. —Can I help you，sir?
—Yes. I bought this radio here yesterday，but it ____. 【1996】
A. didn’t work B. won’t work C. can’t work D. doesn’t work
48. Helen ____ her keys in the office so she had to wait until her husband ____ home. 【1996】
A. has left; comes B. left; had come C. had left; came D. had left; would come
49. —Who is Jerry Cooper?
— ____ ? I saw you shaking hands with him at the meeting. 【1997】
A. Don’t you meet him yet B. Hadn’t you met him yet
C. Didn’t you meet him yet D. Haven’t you met him yet
50. —Alice，why didn’t you come yesterday?
—I ____ ，but I had an unexpected visitor. 【1997】
A. had B. would C. was going to D. did
51. I first met Lisa three years ago. She ____ at a radio shop at the time. 【1997】
A. has worked B. was working C. had been working D. had worked
52. —Is this raincoat yours?
—No，mine ____ there behind the door. 【1997】
A. hangs B. has hungC. is hanging D. hung
53. —Nancy is not coming tonight.
— But she ____! 【1998】
A. promisesB. promisedC. will promise D. had promised
54. Shirley ____ a book about China last year but I don’t know whether she has finished it. 【1998】
A. has written B. wrote C. had written D. was writing
55. —Hi，Tracy，you look tired.
—I am tired. I ____ the living room all day. 【1998】
A. painted B. had painted C. have been painting D. have painted
56. The price ____，but I doubt whether it will remain so. 【1999】
A. went down B. will go down C. has gone down D. was going down
57. —Hey，look where you are going!
—Oh，I’m terribly sorry. ____. 【1999】
A. I’m not noticing B. I wasn’t noticing
C. I haven’t notice D. I don’t notice
58. —You’ve left the light on.
—Oh，so I have. ____ and turn it off. 【2000】
A. I’ll go B. I’ve goneC. I go D. I’m going
59. —How are you today?
—Oh，I ____ as ill as I do now for a very long time. 【2000】
A. didn’t feel B. wasn’t feeling C. don’t feel D. haven’t felt
60. The reporter said that the UFO ____ east to west when he saw it. 【2000】
A. was travelling B. travelled C. had been travelling D. was to travel
61. Old McDonald gave up smoking for a while，but soon ____ to his old ways. 【2000春】
A. returned B. returns C. was returning D. had returned
62. — You're drinking too much.
— Only at home. No one ____ me but you. 【2000春】
A. is seeing B. had seen C. sees D. saw
63. Selecting a mobile phone for personal use is no easy task because technology ____ so rapidly. 【2001】
A. is changing B. has changed C. will have changed D. will change
64. I ____ ping-pong quite well，but I haven’t had time to play since the new year. 【2001】
A. will play B. have played C. played D. play
65. Visitors ____ not to touch the exhibits. 【2001】
A. will request B. are requested C. are requesting D. request
66. Hundreds of jobs ____ if the factory close. 【2001春】
A. loseB. will be lost C. are lost D. will lose
67. I’ve won a holiday for two to Florida. I ____ my mum. 【2001春】
A. am taking B. have takenC. take D. will have taken
68. A new cinema____ here. They hope to finish it next month. 【2001春】
A. will be builtB. is built C. has been builtD. is being built
69. —You haven’t said a word about my new coat，Brenda. Do you like it?
—I’m sorry I ____ anything about it sooner. I certainly think it’s pretty on you. 【NMET2002】
A. wasn’t saying B. don’t say C. won’t say D. didn’t say
70. I wonder why Jenny ____ us recently. We should have heard from her by now. 【NMET2002】
A. hasn’t written B. doesn’t write C. won’t write D. hadn’t written
71. The little girl____ her heart out because she____ her toy bear and believed she wasn’t ever going to find it. 【京2002】
A. had cried; lost B. cried; had lostC. has cried; he lost D. cries; had lost
72. —Excuse me，sir. Would you do me a favor？
—Of course. What is it?
—I____ if you could tell me how to fill out this form. 【京2002】
A. had wondered B. was wondering C. would wonder D. did wonder
73. —When will you come to see me，Dad?
—I will go to see you when you____ the training course. 【京2003春】
A. will have finished B. will finish C. are finishing D. finish
74. —How long ____ at this job?
—Since 1990. 【京2003春】
A. were you employed B. have you been employed
C. had you been employed D. will you be employed
75. All morning as she waited for the medical report from the doctor，her nervousness ____. 【NMET2003】
A. has grown B. is growing C. grew D. had grown
76. Why don’t you put the meat in the fridge? It will ____ fresh for several days. 【NMET2003】
A. be stayedB. stay C. be staying D. have stayed
77. At this time tomorrow ____ over the Atlantic. 【京2003】
A. we’re going to fly B. we’ll be flying C. we’ll fly D. we’re to fly
78. — ____ David and Vicky ____ married?
—For about three years. 【京2003】
A. How long were… being B. How long have…got
C. How long have… been D. How long did…get
79. The news came as no surprise to me. I ____ for some time that the factory was going to shut down. 【京2003】
A. had known B. knew C. have known D. know
80. With the rapid growth of population，the city ____ in all directions in the past five years. 【NMET2003春】
A. spreads B. has spread C. spread D. had spread
81. The silence of the library ____ only by the sound of pages being turned over. 【NMET2003春】
A. has been broken B. breaks C. broke D. was broken
1. My brother ____ the Youth League for two years. 【1983】
A. has been in B. has entered C. has taken part in D. has joined into
2. This straw hat ____ me. 【1983】
A. doesn't fit for B. isn't fit C. doesn't fit D. fits to
3. Frank is the kind of person whom people like to ____. 【1983】
A. make friend B. make friends of C. make friends D. make friends with
4. I ____ you will write to me soon. 【1984】
A. wish B. need C. want D. hope
5. As soon as he entered the room，he took ____ his cap and sat down. 【1986】
A. off B. out C. away D. down
6. —What are you doing?
—I am looking ____ the children. They should be back for lunch now. 【1986】
A. after B. at C. for D. up
7. It's freezing outside. You ____ put on your overcoat. 【1987】
A. had better to B. had better C. would better D. would better to
8. Mother ____ us stories when we were young. 【1988】
A. was used to tell B. is used to telling C. used to tell D. used to telling
9. —Could you tell me what this word means?
—Sorry，I don't know it either. Let's look it ____ the dictionary. 【1988】
A. at B. over in C. up in D. for
10. The teacher told the class to ____ their books. 【1988】
A. put away B. put by C. put on D. put up
11. I asked him to ____ me a few minutes so that we could go over all the problems. 【1988】
A. spend B. save C. spare D. share
12. It is well known that Thomas Edison ____ the electric lamp. 【1989】
A. inventedB. discovered C. found D. developed
13. Cheap coal ____ a lot of smoke. 【1989】
A. gives upB. gives in C. gives away D. gives off
14. They ____ friends since they met in Shanghai. 【1989】
A. have made B. have become C. have been D. have turned
15. The sports meet will be ____ till next week because of the bad weather. 【1989】
A. put off B. put away C. put up D. put down
16. ____ your coat at once. We must hurry. 【1989】
A. Wear B. Wearing C. Put on D. Putting on
17. Go on ____ the other exercises after you have finished this one. 【1989】
A. to do B. doing C. with D. to be doing
18. The horrible noise from the man's room simply ____ me mad. 【1990】
A. put B. caused C. droveD. turned
19. His father died and ____ him a lot of money. 【1990】
A. gave B. left C. sent D. offered
20. ____ this book and tell me what you think of it. 【1990】
A. Look through B. Look on C. Look into D. Look up
21. We ____ each other the best of luck in the examination. 【1991】
A. hoped B. wanted C. expectedD. wished
22. ____ ! There's a train coming. 【1991】
A. Look out B. Look around C. Look forward D. Look on
23. I learned to ____ a bicycle as a small boy. 【1991】
A. drive B. ride C. operate D. run
24. —Will somebody go and get Dr. White?
—He's already been ____. 【1991】
A. asked for B. sent for C. called for D. looked for
25. Will you ____ me a favour，please? 【1991】
A. give B. make C. do D. bring
26. When Jack arrived，he learned Mary ____ for almost an hour. 【1992】
A. had gone B. had set off C. had left D. had been away
27. —Shall we go skating or stay at home?
—Which ____ do yourself? 【1992】
A. do you rather B. would you rather C. will you rather D. should you rather
28. I really don't want to go to the party，but I don't see how I can ____ it. 【1992】
A. get back from B. get out of C. get away D. get off
29. If no one ____ the phone at home，ring me at work. 【1993】
A. returns B. replies C. answersD. receives
30. Readers can ____ quite well without knowing the exact meaning of each word. 【1993】
A. get over B. get in C. get along D. get through
31. The captain ____ an apology to the passengers for the delay caused by bad weather. 【1993】
A. made B. said C. put D. passed
32. Rather than ____ on a crowded bus，he always prefers ____ a bicycle. 【1994】
A. ride; rideB. riding; ride C. ride; to ride D. to ride; riding
33. I don't know the restaurant，but it's ____ to be quite a good one. 【1994】
A. said B. told C. spoken D. talked
34. All the leading newspapers ____ the trade talks between China and the United States. 【1995】
A. reportedB. printed C. announced D. published
35. You are ____ your time trying to persuade him; he'll never join us. 【1995】
A. spendingB. wasting C. losing D. missing
36. —What did you think of her speech?
—She ____ for one hour but didn't ____ much. 【1995】
A. spoke; speak B. spoke; say C. said; speak D. said; say
37. I can hardly hear the radio. Would you please ____ ? 【1995】
A. turn it on B. turn it down C. turn it up D. turn it off
38. I love to go to the seaside in summer. It____ good to lie in the sun or swim in the cool sea. 【1996】
A. does B. feels C. gets D. makes
39. She ____ his number in the phone book to make sure that she had got it right. 【1997】
A. looked up B. looked for C. picked out D. picked up
40. Nobody noticed the thief slip into the house because the lights happened to ____. 【1998】
A. be put upB. give in C. be turned on D. go out
41. They ____ the train until it disappeared in the distance. 【1998】
A. saw B. watched C. noticed D. observed
42. ____him and then try to copy what he does. 【1999】
A. Mind B. Glance atC. Stare at D. Watch
43. —Do you think the Stars will beat the Bulls?
—Yes. They have better players，so I ____ them to win. 【1999】
A. hope B. prefer C. expect D. want
44. Let Harry play with your toys as well，Clare—you must learn to ____. 【2000】
A. support B. care C. spare D. share
45. —It's a good idea. But who's going to ____ the plan?
— I think Tom and Greg will. 【2000春】
A. set aside B. carry out C. take in D. get through
46. Nick is looking for another job because he feels that nothing he does ____ his boss. 【2000春】
A. serves B. satisfies C. promises D. supports
47. We didn’t plan our art exhibition like that but it ____ very well. 【2001】
A. went on B. tried out C. worked out D. carried on
48. —Why haven’t you bought any butter?
—I ____to but I forgot about it. 【2001春】
A. liked B. wished C. meantD. expected
49. Have a good rest. You need to ____your energy for the tennis match this afternoon. 【2001春】
A. leave B. save C. hold D. get
50. The taxi driver often reminds passengers to ____ their belongings when they leave the car. 【NMET2002】
A. keep B. catch C. hold D. take
51. —When shall we start?
—Let’s____ it 8:30. Is that all right? 【京2002】
A. set B. meet C. make D. take
52. Be careful when you cross this very busy street. If not，you may ____ run over by a car. 【京2002】
A. have B. get C. become D. turn
53. —Mummy，can I put the peaches in the cupboard?
—No，dear. They don’t ____ well. Put them in the fridge instead. 【京2002】
A. keep B. fit C. get D. last
54. If anybody calls，tell them I’m out，and ask them to ____ their name and address. 【NMET2003】
A. pass B. write C. take D. leave
55. Would you slow down a bit，please? I can't ____ you. 【2001春】
A. keep up with B. put up with C. make up to D. hold on to
56. We thought of selling this old furniture，but we’ve decided to ____ it. It might be valuable. 【NMET2002】
A. hold on to B. keep up with C. turn to D. look after
57. His mother had thought it would be good for his character to____ from home and earn some money on his own. 【京2002】
A. run awayB. take away C. keep away D. get away
58. The idea puzzled me so much that I stopped for a few seconds to try to____. 【京2003春】
A. make it out B. make it off C. make it up D. make it over
59. News reports say peace talks between the two countries ____ with no agreement reached. 【NMET2003】
A. have broken down B. have broken out C. have broken in D. have broken up
60. Don’t mention that at the beginning of the story，or it may ____ the shocking ending.【京2003】
A. give away B. give out C. give up D. give off
1. The careless driver has just been fined $ 10 for stopping his taxi at a sign that ____ “NO PARKING”.
A. is read B. reads C. writes D. is written
2. Our motherland didn’t always look the way it____ today. There were few tall buildings.
A. isB. does C. is doing D. has been
3. —Do you think that she’ll finish the job on time?
—Sure. So long as she ____ to do it in her own way.
A. is leavingB. leaves C. is left D. has left
4. The air company going from bad to worse，the workers ____ hardly enough to make a living.
A. are paid B. are paying C. have paidD. paid
5. —Shall I invite John to my birthday party?
—Yes. It will be nice if you ____.
A. do B. do invite C. are D. invite
6. Once environmental damage ____，it takes many years for the system to recover.
A. has doneB. is to do C. does D. is done
7. Travelers ____ that they should bring their ID cards with them.
A. have reminded B. are reminded C. were reminding D. had been reminded
8. —Can I drive on the free way，Mr. Green?
—You can when you ____ a bit more skilled.
A. will get B. are getting C. will have got D. get
9. In Switzerland，six miles west of Geneva，____ a collection of laboratory buildings.
A. lie B. are lying C. lies D. lays
10. He has been writing the composition the whole morning and he still ____.
A. has been B. does C. has D. is
11. It won’t be to long before we ____ a way to smooth away these difficulties.
A. work outB. will work out C. had worked out D. are working out
12. The grey building is where the workers live，and the white one is where the spare parts ____.
A. are producing B. are produced C. producedD. being produced
13. —Put these glasses away before they ____.
—OK. I’ll put them in the cupboard.
A. have broken B. are breaking C. get broken D. will be broken
14. —I’ve been told that John____ from his journey to America. What about visiting him tonight?
—All right. I’ll call for you at 6:00 pm.
A. had come back B. is back C. came back D. coming back
15. I’ve brought my tennis things along in case we____ time for a game tomorrow.
A. shall have B. have C. will haveD. are going to have
16. —____ you ____ to the radio?
—No，you can turn it off.
A. Will; listen B. Have; listened C. Do; listen D. Are; listening
17. Please call again. Jim____ a bath just now.
A. has had B. was having C. is havingD. has
18. —Are you a visitor here?
—That’s right. I ____ round the world and now my dream of coming to China has come true.
A. have traveled B. am traveling C. was traveling D. had
19. 24 hours has passed after the explosion in the mine，but rescue efforts to recover the missing ____ carried out.
A. are still being B. have already been C. are always D. will soon be
20. I can guess you were in a hurry. You ____ your sweater inside out.
A. had worn B. wore C. are wearing D. were wearing
21. You ____ television. Why not do something more active?
A. always watch B. are always watching
C. have always watchedD. have always watching
22. You ____ things about. Look，what a mess in your room!
A. always throwB. have always thrown
C. are always throwing D. have always been throwing
23. —When did he go to America?
—Oh，he____ there since half a year ago.
A. went B. has been C. has goneD. was
24. —Did you blame him for his mistakes?
—Yes，but I’d rather ____ it.
A. not do B. not to doC. have not done D. not have done
25. We’ll start at six o’clock if it ____ raining by then.
A. stops B. will stop C. has stopped D. is to stop
26. ANKARA: The Turkish Government ____ to let the United States use its territory(领土) to re-supply US forces in neighboring Iraq.
A. agrees B. agreed C. has agreed D. is agreeing
27. Collecting stamps as a hobby ____ increasingly popular during the past fifty years.
A. becomesB. became C. has become D. had become
28. Mary ____ the Washington Science Centre. She is disappointed that her father doesn’t allow her to go there with her class.
A. often comes to B. was going to C. has never visited D. had never been to
29. Peter said he would write but I ____ from him since then.
A. have never heard B. hadn’t heard
C. didn’t hear D. haven’t been heard
30. It ____ every day so far this month.
A. rained B. rains C. is rainingD. has rained
31. —Alice’s second-hand computer____ wrong although she used it only once.
—You’d better go to check it.
A. went B. is going C. has goneD. had gone
32. —____ my dictionary?
—Yes. I put it in your desk just now.
A. Do you see B. Have you seen C. Did you see D. Had you seen
33. Give me an undisturbed hour and I’ll see to the work Tom ____ unfinished.
A. will leaveB. is leavingC. has left D. had left
34. PowerPoint ____ a necessary part of business meetings since Microsoft introduced it ten years ago.
A. has become B. had become C. will become D. would become
35. Bring me a hammer，will you? I ____ to hang the picture for a long time.
A. had meant B. have been meaning C. mean D. meant
36. —You look very tired. Why?
—I ____ in the lab too long. I think I should stop work and have a good rest.
A. have been working B. am working C. had worked D. work
37. —Waiter，what about my food? I ____ for over 20 minutes.
—Oh，sorry，sir. Just one more minute，please.
A. have waited B. was waiting C. have been waiting D. had waited
38. —Isn’t it hard to drive downtown to work?
—Yes，that’s why I____ to work by train.
A. have been going B. have gone C. was going D. will have gone
39. She ought to stop working; she has a headache because she____ too long.
A. had read B. read C. is reading D. has been reading
40. —____ your paper last night?
—Almost. I still have ten more pages to type.
A. Had you finished B. Did you finish
C. Have you finished D. Have you been finishing
41. —Look! Someone has spilt coffee on the carpet.
—Well，It ____ me.
A. isn’t B. wasn’t C. hasn’t been D. hadn’t been
42. —Who is the old man talking with your teacher?
—I don’t know. I ____ him before.
A. was never seeing B. had never seen C. never saw D. wouldn’t see
43. —How time flies! It’s already twelve o’clock.
—Oh，really? I ____ it at all.
A. don’t realize B. didn’t realize C. haven’t realized D. hadn’t realized
44. I would have come to see you earlier，but I ____too busy.
A. had beenB. were C. was D. would be
45. —Why! Where’s my passport? Maybe I left it on the plane.
—My Goodness! You ____ things behind.
A. had never left B. didn’t leave C. never leftD. haven’t left
46. —What are you looking for?
—I can’t remember where I ____ my glasses.
A. leave B. left C. had left D. have left
47. —You haven’t said a word about my new coat，Brenda. Do you like it?
—I’m sorry I____ anything about it sooner. I certainly think it’s pretty on you.
A. didn’t say B. don’t sayC. wasn’t saying D. won’t say
48. I wonder why the boy I____ honest was caught cheating in the examination.
A. considered B. considerC. have considered D. had considered
49. The chairman told the speaker that she____ to speak a little louder so as to make herself ____.
A. had hoped; hear B. had expected; hear
C. was expected; heard D. was hoped; heard
50. Little Tom decided to get up early so as not to be scolded by his teacher，but before long he ____ to his own way.
A. would return B. returned back C. had returned back D. returned
51. —It’s at least ten years since we parted with each other，Joe.
—Neither would I have，if I hadn’t been called.
A. You haven’t changed a bit，Jim B. I made you out on seeing you，Jim
C. I had thought I would meet you here，Jim D. I didn’t recognize you at first，Jim
52. —Hello，Jim. I ____ to see you today. Sonia said you____ ill.
A. didn’t expect; were B. don’t expect; were
C. haven’t expected; are D. am not expecting; are
53. I had meant to go and help him out with the trouble，but I ____ to do so because of the heavy rain.
A. failed B. have failed C. had failed D. fail
54. —Why didn’t you turn up at the meeting?
—I ____ for a long-distance call from my father in England.
A. waited B. had waited C. was waiting D. have been waiting
55. Look at this! I ____ some magazines and found this letter.
A. am looking through B. look through
C. had looked through D. was looking through
56. —You look tired. What happened?
—I ____ non-stop until 5 o’clock this morning.
A. have been working B. have worked C. was working D. had worked
57. —Has Jack finished his homework yet?
—I’ve no idea，but he ____ it this afternoon.
A. would doB. was doing C. did D. had done
58. The thief tried to break away from the policeman who ____ him but failed.
A. held B. had held C. would hold D. was holding
59. The girl fell off the wooden bridge when she ____ the river.
A. was crossing B. crossed C. had been crossing D. was to cross
60. —Did you see Sandy in the manager’s office?
—Yes，she ____ by the manager.
A. is questioned B. was being questioned C. had been questioned D. was questioned
61. —You never should have gone out in the rain.
—I wouldn’t have，but they ____.
A. expectedB. are expecting C. were expecting D. had expected
62. —Excuse me，sir. Would you do me a favor?
—Of course. What is it?
—I____ if you could tell me how to fill out this form.
A. had wondered B. would wonder C. has wondered D. was wondering
63. —What have you been doing? I asked you a question，why didn’t you answer?
—Sorry. I ____ to the news on the radio.
A. listened B. have listened C. listen D. was listening
64. —I rang you at about ten，but there was no reply.
—Oh，that was probably when I ____ my neighbor.
A. visited B. was going to visit C. was visiting D. had visited
65. —What’s the matter，Jim? You look sad.
—Oh，nothing much. Actually，I____ of my friends.
A. am thinking B. have just thought C. was just thinking D. had just thought
66. —Oh，that’s just my missing book. Where on earth was it?
—It____ off the table into the corner.
A. has fallenB. fell C. had fallen D. is falling
67. —Tom came back home the day before yesterday.
—Really? Where ____ at all?
A. had he been B. has he been C. had he gone D. has he gone
68. I ____ much farther ____ I caught up with her.
A. hadn’t gone; until B. hadn’t gone; before
C. didn’t go; then D. was not going; when
69. All flights ____ because of the snowstorm. Many passengers had to take the train instead.
A. had canceled(取消) B. was canceled C. have canceled D. had been canceled
70. I delayed ____ your letter because I ____ for a week.
A. writing; had left home B. to send; have been out
C. answering; had been away D. replying; had been off
71. —What were you doing when I phoned you last night?
—I ____ my composition and was starting to take a bath.
A. have already finishedB. had just finished
C. was going to finish D. was finishing
72. —Have you seen your nephew lately?
—Yes，in fact I saw him yesterday. I____ him for three years.
A. haven’t seen B. didn’t see C. hadn’t seen D. don’t see
73. Mr Walcott told me that four-fifths of the houses ____.
A. have been sold out B. had been sold out
C. were sold outD. was sold out
74. Until then，his family ____ from him for two months.
A. didn’t hear B. hasn’t heard C. hadn’t heard D. haven’t heard
75. At last we got the letter we____ long____.
A. have; been expectingB. were; expecting
C. had; been expected D. had; been expecting
76. The computers made by our company sell best，but several years ago no one could have imagined the role in the markets that they ____.
A. were playing B. were to play C. had played D. played
77. Unfortunately，when I dropped in，Doctor Li____ for Beijing to join in the fight against SARS，so we only had time for a few words.
A. just left B. has just left C. is just leaving D. was just leaving
78. Because I____ the next day，I went to bed early on Saturday evening.
A. was leaving B. will leaveC. had left D. was about to leave
79. You’d better set about making preparations for the New Year’s party，or it ____ too late.
A. isB. was C. has been D. will be
80. We ____ at 6:45，and hope ____ most of the journey by lunch time.
A. left; to have done B. are leaving; to have done
C. leave; to be doing D. are leaving; to do
81. While people may refer to television for up-to-the-minute news，it is unlikely that television ____ the newspaper completely.
A. replace B. have replaced C. replaced D. will replace
82. My money ____. I must go to the bank to draw some of my savings out before I’ve none in hand.
A. has run out B. is running out C. has been run out D. is being run out
83. Until you’ve finished your work，you ____ allowed to leave.
A. will be B. will not be C. will have been D. are
84. —Is Dad going to the park together with us this Saturday?
—He won’t be free then. He____ a meeting.
A. will be attending B. has attended C. is attending D. ought to attend
85. —I’ll give an appointment on Friday，the 22nd. Will that be all right?
—I’m sorry，I ____ on 22nd.
A. will be working B. am working C. can work D. work
86. By the time you get to the airport，she ____ for New Zealand.
A. would be leaving B. has already left C. is leaving D. will have left
87. By next Saturday Tom ____ a whole month without smoking a cigarette.
A. will have gone B. has been going C. will go D. has gone
88. The meeting____ a full week by the time it ends.
A. will have lasted B. has lasted C. would last D. had lasted
89. Officials of the Walt Disney predicted that，by 2010，China____ at least two Disneyland parks.
A. will have had B. is to have C. would have D. already have
90. By next summer John____ in this factory for thirteen years.
A. has been working B. will have been working
C. will be working D. has worked
91. —Could you take a message for Mr. Green?
—Certainly. I____ him about something else in any case，so it____ any bother.
A. may see; isn’t B. see; won’t be C. will see; is D. will be seeing; won’t be
92. Mrs Green wants to pay for that kind of cloth because she ____ that the cloth ____ very well.
A. has been told; washes B. has told; washes
C. has been told; is washed D. is told; is washed
93. Robert ____ me his address the other day，but I’m afraid I ____ it.
A. had given; lost B. has given; have lost
C. gave; have lost D. gives; lost
94. Shelly____ California for Texas and____ there ever since. You can go and pay her a visit on your way to Mexico.
A. left; worked B. has left; had worked
C. left; has worked D. has left; worked
95. Half of their money ____ on the project which ____ thousands of dollars.
A. has been spent; will be cost B. has been paid; will cost
C. has wasted; will spend D. has been spent; will cost
96. —Tomorrow ____ my birthday. I’d like you and Jane to come.
—I’m not sure if she ____ free.
A. will be; is B. is going to; is C. is; is D. is; will be
97. —Why haven’t you asked her to come here?
—She ____ an important experiment when I found her and she ____ it.
A. had done; didn’t finish B. was doing; hasn’t finished
C. did; wouldn’t finish D. would do; hadn’t finished
—I ____ but I ____ anything unusual.
A. watched; have watched B. have watched; see
C. was watching; wasn’t seeingD. am watching; don’t see
99. When I entered the step-classroom，the lecture ____ and the audience ____ attentively.
A. began; listened B. was begun; was listening
C. had already begun; listening D. had begun; were listening
100. —What were you up to when she dropped in?
—I ____ for a while and ____ some reading.
A. had played; was going to do B. played; did
C. had played; did D. was playing; was going to do
101. —What were you doing when Tom came to see you?
—I ____ on my overcoat and ____ to visit a friend of mine.
A. have just put; leavingB. was put; was left
C. had just put; was leaving D. was putting; left
102. —How are the Houston Rockets playing?
—They____ off to a bad start，but they are playing quite well.
A. had got B. was getting C. got D. has got
103. Li Lei____ in France for about two years，so he____ much difficulty in understanding French.
A. has been; doesn’t have B. had been; hadn’t had
C. went; didn’t have D. has gone; didn’t have
104. Oh，here you are，my dear！ I ____you，and you have come back on time as____.
A. was expecting; supposed B. have expected; supposing
C. expected; supposed D. am expecting; supposing
105. —The girl ____ weight recently.
—Yes. She ____ too much.
A. has gained; is eating B. gains; eats
C. is gaining; ateD. is gaining; eats
106. The meeting was to____ at 9 o’clock but the manager____ until twenty minutes later.
A. start; didn’t turn up B. have started; didn’t turn up
C. start; hadn’t turned up D. be started; hadn’t turned up
107. —____ the fans____ the pop band at the guesthouse?
—No，they____ away by the organizer of the performance before they arrived there.
A. Have，seen; have driven B. Had，seen; were driven
C. Did，see; had been driven D. Have，seen; had driven
108. He ____ to the railway station to meet us，but he didn’t recognize us.
A. didn’t goB. had goneC. tried to go D. did go
109. —I’m sorry，I shouldn’t have been so rude to you.
—You ____ your temper but that’s OK.
A. have lostB. had lost C. did lose D. were losing
110. We have done things we ought not to have done and ____ undone things we ought to have done.
A. left B. leave C. will leaveD. leaving
111. She lost her money，and I wasn’t surprised that she ____ because she was too careless.
A. did B. did it C. did so D. did that
112. I’m not sure who is to ____ the fire?
A. blame for starting B. be blamed for starting C. blame to start D. be blamed to start
113. Don’t get that ink on your shirt，for it____.
A. won’t wash out B. won’t be washing out
C. wasn’t washed out D. doesn’t wash away
114. —Did you go to visit her while she ____ in New York?
—I ____ to，but I was extremely busy.
A. stayed; was intending B. stayed; was intended
C. was staying; have intended D. was staying; had intended
115. —You have promised to go，then why aren’t you getting ready?
—I ____ you ____ to go at once.
A. haven’t realized; want B. didn’t realize; wanted
C. don’t realized; want D. don’t realize; wanted
116. You are still here? I ____ you ____ Beijing.
A. think; are leaving for B. think; have already left for
C. thought; would leave for D. thought; had already left for
117. He ____ he would be able to leave tomorrow，but it’s beginning to look difficult.
A. hopes B. was hoping C. had hoped D. hoped
118. —Henry，fancy meeting you here.
—It’s Jack. Sorry，I ____ you ____ to me.
A. didn’t think，were speaking B. don’t think，spoke
C. didn’t think，spoke D. thought，are speaking
1. A bank in Shenzhen ____ 5 yuan for a “cash counting fee” when a customer deposited(存款) a bag of coins.
A. took B. asked C. bargained D. charged
2. —How can the problem be solved?
—Well，we must ____ it to the president’s own judgment.
A. depend B. suggest C. expect D. leave
3. I’ve visited a lot of different countries and stayed in a lot of different countries，but nothing else ____ this one.
A. wins B. matches C. makes D. takes
4. No matter how much money you have，it cannot ____ a healthy body.
A. match B. fit C. defeat D. compare
5. On the long journey，Peter ____ a most interesting guide. We all had a wonderful time.
A. practisedB. behaved C. proved D. conducted
6. We had thought the examination would be difficult，but it ____ easy.
A. turned B. came C. appearedD. proved
7. Children under six are not ____ to school except those of extraordinary intelligence(智力超常).
A. permittedB. admitted C. acceptedD. received
8. Always acting in a strange way，Einstein must have ____ to people around to be mad.
A. shown B. imagined C. appearedD. thought
9. The horse ____ the danger and stopped.
A. sensed B. imagined C. smelled D. tasted
10. —Does he work hard at his lessons?
—Yes，he ____ no efforts，I dare say.
A. spends B. shares C. spares D. wastes
11. He has got used to ____ to everything himself.
A. leading B. seeing C. sticking D. referring
12. However，at times this balance in nature is ____，resulting in a number of possibly unforeseen effects.
A. troubled B. puzzled C. mixed D. disturbed
13. Every language____ more than 100,000 words，but____ are not used very frequently.
A. includes，many B. contains，many of these words
C. has，many of whichD. owns，many of them
14. After much exploration they finally ____ a new route to the salt lake.
A. discovered B. invented C. made up D. recovered
15. Afraid of being scolded by the teacher，Tom ____ a story to explain why he was late.
A. wrote B. provided C. told D. invented
16. Your desk is crowded with too many unnecessary things. You have to____ some of them.
A. remain B. reduce C. remove D. return
17. —How come a simple meal like this costs so much?
—We have____ in your bill the cost of the teapot you broke just now.
A. added B. include C. obtainedD. charged
18. In self-service restaurants waiters usually don’t bring you dishes. You have to____ yourself to whatever food you want.
A. serve B. bring C. provide D. help
19. Every time the driver tried to start the car，the wheel____ deeper in the mud.
A. stuck B. fell C. dropped D. sunk
20. Her son，to whom she was so____，went abroad ten years ago.
A. loved B. cared C. devoted D. affected
21. Time past cannot be____ back again.
A. shouted B. cried C. called D. founded
22. In a way I can see what you mean，even though I don’t____ your point of view.
A. permit B. share C. recognize D. agree
23. Keep your passwords safe: Most on-line sites ____ a user name and password before placing an order.
A. suggest B. request C. require D. ask
24. After trying several times，I ____ to see him.
A. attempted B. succeeded C. intended D. managed
25. After a year’s training，I’m sure he will ____ the target.
A. hit B. strike C. beat D. knock
26. We both strongly ____ your going to Iraq at this time of the war. It’s not a wise decision.
A. enjoy B. oppose C. appreciate D. insist
27. The happy look on his face ____ that he had passed the final examination successfully.
A. explainedB. suggested C. expressed D. described
28. —What a tiring week! I wish I could afford to do something special.
—If you don’t mind，I’d like to____ you to a vacation in Thailand.
A. treat B. serve C. give D. offer
29. It is believed that the new film filled with violence won’t____ for children.
A. fit B. care C. prepare D. do
30. In preparing scientific reports of laboratory experiments，you should____ your findings in logical order and clear language.
A. write B. raise C. present D. put
31. In character-training of children，what really____ much is what their parents say and do.
A. matters B. cares C. considers D. minds
32. ____ your step，Peter，or you might fall into the water.
A. Look out B. Take C. Watch D. Notice
33. If you keep practicing your son in football，he ____ to be a famous player.
A. wants B. hopes C. wishes D. promises
34. —Did you say it would get colder this afternoon?
—Yeah. I can ____ you.
A. promise B. prove C. persuadeD. answer
35. The work is ____ smoothly. I’m sure it will be finished in a month or so.
A. progressing B. improving C. moving D. keeping
36. Renaldo has been ____ European Footballer of the year for the second time.
A. made B. elected C. named D. chosen
37. Papermaking began in China and from here it ____ to North Africa and Europe.
A. spread B. grew C. carried D. developed
38. Now that the plan has been ____ out，we must ____ it out.
A. worked; carry B. kept; give C. taken; put D. brought; find
39. Don’t put the chair too close to the stove. Dry wood____ fire easily，you know.
A. lights B. burns C. makes D. catches
40. —Mum，it is nice weather. I want to skate this afternoon.
—Don’t you think the ice on the lake is too thin to ____ your weight?
A. stand B. bear C. catch D. take
41. And finally，when night at last came，the street ____and only the rubbish ____sadly blowing in the cooling night wind.
A. emptied，remained B. silenced，left
C. calmed，lay D. changed，piled
42. Although Dora's Lawyer ____ that his 58-year-old client(当事人) would bring no more harm to society，she was sentenced to death after all.
A. declaredB. announced C. discussed D. argued
43. —Copy the short passage at once.
—Be quick! No，not until I have ____ it.
A. seen B. watchedC. studied D. taken
44. —I’m afraid no one will agree with you.
—I don’t think it ____.
A. minds B. matters C. troubles D. works out
45. His wife needed an operation at once. So he had to____ $ 3000 for his car.
A. cost B. pay C. take D. spend
46. The driver tried to ____ the accident by bringing the car to a sudden stop.
A. cause B. control C. reduce D. prevent
47. I shall ____ the loss of my briefcase in the newspaper，with a reward for the finder.
A. advertiseB. inform C. announce D. publish
48. If only he works hard，I don’t ____ when he finishes the report.
A. expect B. mind C. hope D. regret
49. It seems helpless to ____ any more time to this question. Let’s stop here.
A. devote B. spare C. spend D. stick
50. The baby-sister tried to ____ the baby to sleep，and her soft voice soon took effect.
A. get B. manage C. persuadeD. sing
51. —Would you mind if I ____ my answer with yours?
—Of course not. But I’m not sure whether mine is right.
A. examine B. test C. check D. compare
52. A universally accepted law is that energy can neither be created nor ____.
A. composed B. imagined C. destroyed D. refused
53. He ____ the vase to the floor with such force that it broke into small pieces.
A. dropped B. threw C. placed D. pulled
54. After moving into the town，my wife did some washing for the rich so that we had just enough to ____ our expenses.
A. serve B. support C. satisfy D. cover
55. —Is dinner ready? I am very hungry now.
—No. Mother is ____ it ready now.
A. doing B. cooking C. getting D. preparing
56. —Can’t you ____ the price more than that?
—Sorry，sir. That’s all I’m allowed to cut down.
A. raise B. mark C. reduce D. decide
1. The cinema was full and a lot of people had to be ____.
A. turned inB. turned against C. turned over D. turned away
2. The government has ____ the parents to work with teachers in the education of their children.
A. asked forB. called forC. looked for D. paid for
3. The workers and peasants ____ the majority of the population of our country.
A. make up B. are made up of C. make up for D. make up of
4. A great fire ____ in our town last night and many people became homeless.
A. broke through B. broke offC. broke out D. broke down
5. Every minute and every second should be made full ____ of ____ the finals.
A. use; to prepare for B. using; prepare for
C. use; preparing for D. used; being prepared for
6. The truth will sooner or later ____.
A. come about B. turn out C. come outD. give out
7. The teacher ____ excellent models of compositions for her class.
A. held up B. showed C. checked D. got through
8. The early pioneers had to ____ many difficulties to settle on the new land.
A. go back on B. go through C. go into D. go along with
9. The boss ____ 30 dollars from my salary without any good reason.
A. kept back B. cut off C. held up D. brought down
10. I am afraid I am not fit for the job，because it is one____ a lot of patience.
A. calling for B. calling onC. searching for D. depending on
11. In my opinion，medical treatment and special schools should be ____ disabled people.
A. referred to B. supplied with C. given by D. provided for
12. In Britain today women ____ 44% of the workforce，and nearly half the mothers with children are in paid work.
A. build up B. make up C. stand forD. send up
13. I’m sorry I can’t help ____ the task because I have to get a medical examination.
A. pull through B. get through C. look through D. pass through
14. Li Gang never gives his friends away. He always ____ them whatever happens.
A. depends on B. sticks to C. believes in D. calls for
15. We haven’t seen Brown for a long time. As a matter of fact，we____ him.
A. have lost touch with B. have nothing to do with
C. have quarreled with D. have had a word with
16. As the situation was serious，the general manager had to____ so that he could deal with it himself.
A. take on B. take turns C. take up D. take over
17. —You cannot take the book out of the reading room.
—It doesn’t matter. I just want to____ it for some figures.
A. refer to B. prefer to C. look up in D. look into
18. We thought of selling this old furniture，but we’ve decided to____ it. It might be valuable.
A. hold on to B. keep up with C. turn to D. look after
19. She will have to find somewhere else to work，for she can’t____ this loud noise any longer.
A. come up with B. catch up with C. keep up with D. put up with
20. How did it____ that you failed to____ in time yesterday?
A. come up; turn down B. come on; turn over
C. come over; turn off D. come about; turn up
21. —How is Dennis getting along with his work?
—Well，he could always____ a new idea for increasing sales.
A. come up with B. come about C. get away with D. get up
22. —How about going to see the film this evening?
—OK. I’ll ____ you at exactly eight o’clock.
A. wait for B. expect C. bring D. agree with
23. We can____ at the hotel，or with friends.
A. put over B. put up C. put awayD. put off
24. The manager doesn’t have much free time as his work____ nearly all his spare time.
A. takes away B. takes in C. takes upD. takes over
25. —Did you come to the museum by bike yesterday?
—No. Two metres of snow fell during the night. As a result，several main roads____.
A. piled snow B. had been closed C. were blocked D. covered with snow
26. John has put on so much weight recently that his mother has to ____ all his trousers to his measure.
A. let out B. give away C. bring in D. make up
27. The mother often tells her son to be a good boy，warning him to____ trouble.
A. hold back from B. keep out of C. break away from D. get rid of
28. —Hey，Mary，I just bought a famous oil painting，you should come and ____!
—OK，I’ll stop by tomorrow!
A. check it out B. find it out C. leave it out D. make it out
29. You should ____ what your parents expect of you.
A. live up to B. stand up to C. look up to D. run up to
30. The air pollution of the city has been ____ by 20 percent thanks to the strict measures taken by the government.
A. fallen down B. increasedC. reduced D. risen
31. The government had hoped to____ the gas price at their present level，but it turned out impossible.
A. stay up B. bring up C. take up D. keep up
32. —What did you think of the concert given by the famous Hong Kong singer?
—Not so good. In fact，it____ to be a great disappointment.
A. turned up B. turned inC. turned down D. turned out
33. I tried to work on，but I got so tired that I could no longer _____.
A. keep outB. hold out C. come down D. come up
34. During the rush hour they were____ in the heavy traffic.
A. held on B. held out C. held down D. held up
35. They have____ most carefully the time and money needed to complete the project.
A. picked out B. taken outC. left out D. figured out
36. The children were very quiet. I wonder what they are____.
A. up to B. crying for C. going to D. stick to
37. — What does GDP ____?
— Gross Domestic Product.
A. look for B. stand forC. make of D. provide for
38. China will allow foreign banks to ____ renminbi in some cities of our country.
A. deal in B. deal withC. deal out D. deal at
39. We have got a lot of work to ____，so let’s start right now.
A. get through B. get over C. get alongD. get away
40. The train____ arrive at 10:30，but it was 30 minutes late.
A. was likely B. was about to C. was certain to D. was supposed to
41. The idea puzzled me so much that I stopped for a few seconds to try to ____.
A. make it out B. make it off C. make it up D. make it over
42. He ____ some French while he was away on a business trip in Paris.
A. made out B. picked up C. gave up D. took in
43. The sports meet，originally due to be held last Friday，was finally____ because of the bad weather.
A. set up B. broke down C. worn outD. called off
44. —What’s the matter with you?
—After the long walk，my legs ____ and couldn’t go any further.
A. gave out B. gave off C. gave in D. gave up
45. ____ and tell us. We are all anxious to know how the story ends up.
A. Hold on B. Carry outC. Speed upD. Go ahead
46. —Not getting that job was a big letdown.
—Don’t worry. Something better will ____.
A. come along B. take on C. go by D. fall behind
47. Mother has brought her computer out into the garden. What is she____ with it there?
A. going on B. up to C. out of D. getting on
48. Bad luck! Mary has just been ____ by her company for her failing health.
A. turned down B. put down C. torn down D. cut down
49. —Oh，I should have brought my umbrella.
—____. Mine is big enough for two.
A. Go aheadB. Go back C. Come over D. Come in
50. I couldn’t____ what they were saying，for they spoke to me at once.
A. listen to B. make outC. hear D. make up
51. If law-breakers____，the society will be in disorder.
A. made unpunished B. came unpunished C. went unpunished D. not punished
52. It is better to ask for help at the beginning rather than to wait until everyone is____ their feet.
A. jumping up B. standing up C. rushed off D. holding up
53. —What did she____ so much money?
—Nothing but a necklace made of glass.
A. spend on B. pay off C. buy for D. sell to
54. —When did the concert____?
—Oh，two days ago.
A. happen B. take place C. hold D. start
55. Although Jane agrees with me on most points，here was one on which she was unwilling to ____.
A. give up B. give in C. give away D. give off
56. The experiment ____ to be ____.
A. turned out; great success B. turned out; a great success
C. turned into; greatly successful D. turned up; great success
57. Water can be ____ into hydrogen and oxygen.
A. broken down B. broken up C. broken off D. broken out
58. Such a movie is ____ for adults only.
A. admitted B. intended C. promisedD. permitted
59. Sometimes it is not easy to tell how a quarrel ____.
A. comes inB. comes up C. comes out D. comes about
60. He ____ in the country，but now he ____ in the noisy city.
A. used to live; has been used to living B. had used to live; has been used to live
C. was used to living; is used to live D. had used to live; had used to living
61. Don’t ____ the dictionary every time you come ____ a new word.
A. refer to; by B. look up; around C. consult; over D. turn to; across
62. He is unfit for the job ,which ____ patience and creativeness.
A. calls in B. calls off C. calls for D. calls up
63. The poor man soon finished his work，and ____ the field to the path where he had left his coat and shoes.
A. went intoB. came across C. came up D. came down
64. Recently in Taiwan，the manufacturing(制造) industry has ____ the information industry.
A. found a way of B. changed the way of C. given way to D. had a way of
65. We have a lot to ____ in the new year.
A. go in for B. get along with C. look forward to D. take care of
66. —____ the population of your city?
—It____ a population of 30，000.
A. What has; has B. What is; has C. How much is; is D. What has; is
67. I was expected to ____ a written report every two months.
A. send for B. send out C. send in D. send off
68. We’ve invited Mr. and Mrs. Brown to dinner. But we’ll have to ____ because the baby’s sick.
A. put them off B. get them off C. set them off D. leave them off
69. —Oh，my God! It’s just a sea of cars. How can you ____ your car?
—That’s easy. Mine is colored differently from any other one.
A. take out B. drive out C. pick out D. get out
70. His marked changes in character were ____ by a number of unfortunate incidents in life.
A. brought out B. brought up C. brought about D. brought to
71. You must ____ that book before you sit down at table.
A. give away B. get rid ofC. put awayD. do away with
72. Without proper lessons，you could ____ a lot of bad habits when playing the piano.
A. put up B. take up C. pick up D. grow up
73. —The boy is telling a lie.
—How do you know?
—His face has given him ____.
A. off B. up C. away D. out
74. —Jenny looks funny in miniskirts.
—But don’t you know miniskirts are starting to ____?
A. come in B. turn backC. come round D. come back
75. The advantage human beings have to____ the sun is worth discussing.
A. do with B. play with C. take of D. have on
76. —Can I do the job?
—I’m afraid not，because it ____ skill and patience.
A. calls for B. asks for C. sends forD. cares for
77. The two sides have finally ____，though some small differences still exist.
A. made a decision B. reached an agreement C. settled down D. broken up
78. To everybody’s surprise，the fashionable young lady ____ to be a thief.
A. found out B. proved out C. put out D. turned out
79. What a pity! He ____ the only chance of success.
A. threw away B. put downC. gave in D. broke off
80. The mail was ____ for two days because of the snowstorm.
A. held out B. held off C. held up D. held down
81. I feel silly in these clothes. Everyone will ____ me.
A. worry about B. make fun of C. get rid ofD. take interest in
82. I don’t skate now，but I ____ when I was a kid.
A. used to B. am used to it C. used D. used to do
83. Often he ____ sit for hours doing nothing at all.
A. was used to B. would C. used to D. should
84. The plan ____ just because people were unwilling to co-operate(合作).
A. broke down B. pulled down C. turned down D. put down
85. Some of the students have already learned enough English to ____ a conversation with an English speaker.
A. go on B. carry on C. keep on D. hold on
CACBC BCBDC BDDAA BADDB BBACA DAAAD BDDBA
DACCD AABBB DDCDC BCBDC CBADA ACADB BADDA
BBDBC BBCAB D
ACDDA CBCCA CADCA CACBA DABBC DBBCD ACAAB
BCBAD BDCDB BCCBD CBADA ADAAA
时态和语态：BBCAA DBDCD ABCBB DCBAC BCBDC CCCAD
CBCAB ACADB BCBCC BAACD DAACD CBDAB
CDDCC CABDC BCBCD BDADB DBBAA DAAAB
DACCD DBDDA CCAAD BCDCA AAADB DCA
DDBAC DBCAC BDBAD CBABC ABCDA BBADC
ACDAA CAADB ADCBC DABAD CCBCC C
DBACA CABAA DBBBA DAADD ABBCC ABAAC
DDBDD ABAAD ABDAD ABACB CCCBB BABDA
DCBCC BCACC CCCDC ABDAC BABAB