1、表示增补关系的连词有and，both…and…，neither…nor…，not…nor…，not only…but also…，as well as等。如：
The teacher’s name is Smith，and the student’s name is John. 老师的名字是史密斯，学生的名字是约翰。
Not only did the restaurant overcharge me，but they hadn’t served me well. 餐馆不仅要价太高，而且对我的服务也不周到。
Neither has he changed his mind，nor will he do so. 他既没有改变主意，也不打算这样做。
Hurry up，or you’ll miss the train. 赶快，否则你就要误火车了。
I must work much harder，otherwise I cannot catch up with the other classmates. 我必须更努力学习，要不然我就赶不上其他同学。
Either you are wrong，or I am. 不是你错了，就是我错了。
He was a little man with thick glasses，but he had a strange way of making his classes lively and interesting. 他个子矮小，戴着深度眼镜，但他有独特的方法使课堂生动有趣。
She is seriously ill，still there is hope of her recovery. 她病得很重，然而仍有希望康复。
One cannot see wind，however，it does exist. 人们看不见风，可是它确实存在。
It is very good，yet it can be better. 这很好，但还能精益求精。
Some experiments are difficult while others are easy. 有些实验是困难的，而其他一些实验则是容易的。
He was just going to speak when the bell rang. 他正要说话，这时铃响了。
This morning Alice was just about to go out when the door opened and in came some strangers. 今天早晨，爱丽丝正要出去，这时门开了，走进来几个陌生人。
August is the time of the year for rice harvest，so every day I work from dawn until dark. 八月是每年稻谷收割的时节，因此，每天我从早干到晚。
The oil must be out，for the lamp has gone out. 油一定用完了，因为灯已熄灭。
It was raining，therefore we remained at home. 天下雨了，因此我们只好呆在家里。
Let’s hurry，it’s getting late. 快点，已经晚了。
6、以and，as well as，neither（nor）连接的并列句中，后面的某些成分常被省略。如：
We study English and they (study) German. 我们学英语，而他们学德语。
He often goes to the museum as well as (he often goes) to the concert. 他经常去博物馆，也常去音乐会。
He likes to study English，so do I. 他喜欢学英语，我也喜欢。
I haven’t seen the film，neither has he. 我没看过这部电影，他也没看过。
1. ____ many times，but he still couldn't understand it. 【1983】
A. Having been told B. Though had been told
C. He was told D. Having told
2. We must get up early tomorrow，____ we'll miss the first bus to the Great Wall. 【1989】
A. so B. or C. but D. beside
3. —I don't like chicken ____ fish.
—I don't like chicken，____ I like fish very much. 【1993】
A. and; andB. and; but C. or; but D. or; and
4. —Would you like to come to dinner tonight?
—I'd like to，____ I'm too busy. 【1994】
A. and B. so C. as D. but
5. She thought I was talking about her daughter，____，in fact，I was talking about my daughter. 【1995】
A. whom B. whereC. which D. while
6. Would you like a cup of coffee ____ shall we get down to business right away? 【1995】
A. and B. then C. or D. otherwise
7. The changes in the city will cost quite a lot，________they will save us money in the long run. 【2000春】
A. orB. since C. for D. but
8. Excuse me for breaking in，____ I have some news for you. 【NMET2002】
A. so B. and C. but D. yet
9. —Would you like to come to the dinner party here on Saturday?
—Thank you. I’d love to，____ I’ll be out of town at the weekend. 【京2002】
A. because B. and C. so D. but
10. We’re going to the bookstore in John’s car. You can come with us ____ you can meet us there later. 【NMET2003】
A. but B. and C. or D. then
1. —Didn’t you hear the telephone?
—No. The music was playing very loudly. ____ I didn’t hear the telephone.
A. otherwise B. but C. so D. because
2. We must help him with his lessons ____ he won’t be able to pass the exam.
A. and B. but C. or D. so
3. Tommy caught the school bus，____.
A. and Jane did eitherB. but so did Jane
C. and Jane didn’t either D. but Jane didn’t
4. Spring is coming; ____ gets warmer and warmer，and trees turn green.
A. that B. it C. which D. as it
5. Please ____ come in or go out，don’t stand there in the doorway.
A. neither B. and C. for D. either
6. What the woman said sounded strange，____ it was true.
A. but yet B. and C. and yet D. and but
7. Someone must have left the tap on，____ the water was running over and flooding the bathroom.
A. thereforeB. since C. because D. for
8. Neither of them knew where I would go，____ I would start.
A. or that B. nor that C. or when D. nor when
9. They knew that we needed a computer，____ we had no money to buy one.
A. and if B. and whether C. but that D. but which
10. One more word，____ he’ll get angry.
A. so B. and C. or D. but
11. The news may be unexpected; ____，it is true.
A. nevertheless B. and C. or D. for
12. I was wandering through the street ____ I caught sight of a tailor’s shop.
A. while B. when C. and D. yet
13. You are in the right，____ we should support you.
A. because B. therefore C. and D. but
14. She has weaknesses. That，____，doesn’t mean she is not qualified for the job.
A. so B. for C. as well as D. however
15. Bob’s father talked to him till he was blue in the face，____ it did no good; the boy quit school anyway.
A. because B. since C. but D. therefore
能力过关检测：CCDBD ADDCB ABBDC